1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Memories for us old truckers

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by Truck Shop, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    A new clutch comes with two 3/4x3/4 wood blocks or a throw away plastic u shaped piece that the manufacture installs between the clutch cover and throw-out bearing,
    It helps with installation because it holds the clutch in a slightly depressed position so the clutch cover basically touches the flywheel sooner. Loading the clutch on the
    input shaft and installing as a unit is the easiest way. Just slide the clutch cover onto the input shaft and with clutch fork fingers pointing straight out and the clutch brake
    already installed on the shaft. Push the clutch cover back and rotate the clutch fork fingers over the throw out bearing and using the fork to pull it the rest of the way it
    will pull clutch cover and clutch brake into position then install the clutch discs and intermediate plate in there proper positions, {Note the FWS I marked on the disc
    in the photo above-Fly Wheel Side} The other would say PPS-Pressure plate side.

DMiller, RZucker and farmerlund like this.
  2. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

I think the reason the mounts were on the trans bell was that it eliminated the need for a rear trans support because the trans assy was better balanced. ya, they were a pita but they seemed to work ok. I made up an attachment for a light-duty trans jack with an old input shaft for clutch installations so I can load the assembly onto the jack in the vertical position, wheel it under, jack it up, and stuff it in. I work alone so I hate getting in and out from under too many times.

Truck Shop, RZucker and DMiller like this.
  3. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    If it's Cat powered and has the rear structure with access baring hole on the right side I just bar it
    around from underneath.

JPV and DMiller like this.
  4. JPV

JPV Senior Member

I have been doing it that way for a while now, I have a bad back and am not able to lift the assembled clutch on to the flywheel. I have always thought about building a floor jack attachment to lift it but it just works so much better doing it that way. It is the only way to go. It helps if you have someone else to bar it over for sure.

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  5. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I have the OTC clutch jack and only use it for removal. And its handy for flywheels.

DMiller, JPV and Truck Shop like this.
  6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    We have a jack that has attachments for both clutch/flywheel and rear drive units. I always drop the clutch with the transmission too. The attachment for rear drives works real well
    on the front drive.

DMiller likes this.
  7. dieseldog5.9

dieseldog5.9 Senior Member

I apparently live in the area where Mack guys from Massachusetts cross with Westernstar guys from Canada and every truck has rear engine mounts in the trans. Caught a kenworth this week and thought wow just pull the trans no engine bs.

DMiller and JPV like this.
  8. Blocker in MS

Blocker in MS Senior Member

9. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce Senior Member

Got stuck on a Washington State ferry with one of those... failure to launch. About the time they were hooking their aircraft tug to it. Mr Detroit burst in a fine clanging roar killed every mosquito for two blocks and we wandered off the boat into the cover of our own smoke screen.

JPV and DMiller like this.
  10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Japanese freightliner with a 90 Nothin WOW

Ronsii, RZucker and Mother Deuce like this.
  11. Mother Deuce

LOL The mighty 903... just when you thought all the runners left were in boats.

RZucker and DMiller like this.
  12. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    The origination of Rattle rattle thunder clatter boom boom boom. 900 Cu In with three working cylinders also comes to mind.

Ronsii, RZucker and Mother Deuce like this.
  13. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    903 = one word... Brader.

DMiller likes this.
  14. Mother Deuce

My buddy Butch worked for Brader. I liked the narrow noses.

DMiller likes this.
  15. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I mostly remember the day cab Peterbilt COEs with the 903s.

DMiller likes this.
  16. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Brader had both coe's and conv, and some of the Freightliner coe's had the crows nest sleeper on top of cab. Brader didn't have many of those just a few.

DMiller likes this.
  17. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Yep, actually looked at buying one of the wide nose Petes with a 903 to make a home for a Silver 92. It was pretty clean, but by the time you added everything up... James (my GMC 9500) was a better deal.:)

DMiller likes this.
  18. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    A number of small lines in Missouri liked them for one reason or another.
    Know of one Independent that had one in a K100, he passed away truck got sold to logger and he converted to a 8v92 from a wrecked Freightliner he had. Boat anchor went to MS River service, boat engine and have not seen or heard of since.

Ronsii likes this.
  19. gtermini

gtermini Well-Known Member

20. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    KNOW that engine, not so good a idea for a truck, NOT 9.0 is DV550, Shudder when say it!!

Ronsii likes this.