• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Likely a 6L in the N series, Small Diameter stack and BIG air cleaner for the day so NOT gasser. Could be a NH250 but air cleaner usually on left for those. That old GM General looks pretty damn sweet, exchange that Double Naught for a 8v71T and be a good to go or upgrade to a Silver 92 and be good for a LONG time.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
For GM could have been a use up
of old stock with engines sitting awaiting orders
IIRC inventory taxation started about that same time so a good way of excess leftovers

OR could it be a old Kit? On a older GMC? But that should have titled old.
Best way to find out request engine data tag pics
Will have build date on them

Truck Shop

With that kind mileage why would someone put early valve covers on a silver? Nah that turd is a left over 00 Gm was getting rid of. I think it needs 2/3 of the oil drained out and a concrete
block tossed on the throttle pedal.:) Replacements came with the silver 92 logo on the covers. Plus it says
on the data tag Engine Date of Manufacture {Nov 1980}. Even more reason to send it to the moon.
Plus in the auction ad description It says {transmission --DT12} DT12's didn't come out till 2014.
So it has a 8LL DT12 automatic .

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Early Silver's were not much better. The DDEC units performed some better but not to a great degree.

Truck Shop

Plus take a look at the shift controls it has a plunger valve on the side with the splitter on top That is a RTO12513 not a Rotten 8LL-{the most worthless road transmission ever built by Fuller}

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Early Silver's were not much better. The DDEC units performed some better but not to a great degree.
Not so sure about that, I've driven 475HP Silvers that made Cats beg for mercy. One of the meanest was a fuel squeezer that had the governor reconfigured to standard, local DDA dealer said it was well over 500HP, it did smoke a tad when you pushed it hard and REALLY SUCKED FUEL.

Truck Shop

I think that {Get'a Mechanic Coming} has a bunch of inconsistencies. Those auction houses like Small Iron, Brown Wave or {Brown Out} and RB {Rotten Bob's used trash} are full of
all kinds of bad info provided by the seller. And if there is a empty space just fill it with {transmission-DT12} for a early eighties truck. Hell no one will notice these morons don't know what their
looking at anyways, it's just farmer Bill and his brother Babblequack wanting to bid on a old truck that's 25 years newer than the one they already have. So to them it's an update, just keep
typing up the ads and get'em on the web.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Something inconsistent of the whole ad. Found the engine tags in the listing, Build Date on the 8V 1980, on the tags again 8V92TA where series does show some on Gov housing as 7400-_600 which would be a OO92. Brake drums do show to be OE as have the toothed outer edge, Barn queen likely put it to use and Every seal on it fail accordingly

Truck Shop

Not so sure about that, I've driven 475HP Silvers that made Cats beg for mercy. One of the meanest was a fuel squeezer that had the governor reconfigured to standard, local DDA dealer said it was well over 500HP, it did smoke a tad when you pushed it hard and REALLY SUCKED FUEL.

I agree, I know of several Silver 92's that ran well. The airport crash response vehicle at this air port is a Oshkosh powered by a 575 hp mechanical 92. Although it has since been retired.
The fire department guys that drove it said 0 to 80 was a real experience.

Mother Deuce

OO started in '74, I BELIEVE the Silver line started around 78 or 79, my 79 K100 had the Silver 92 435 in it
Is the 00 the same as the T? In 77 the company I was working for took delivery of the first KW that KW Northwest delivered with the T. Ray Lute was the salesman. It ran like a screaming watch. At the time there was nothing that would run with it except a 1693. Dudley Boat had a bunch of Astro’s with 71’s at the time and it was a humor to blow by one and get the question “what is in that truck” and be able to tell them same as you just a Detroit. That truck also had the first and last “heavy” torsion bar suspension I ever encountered. Unlike the engine which admittedly I only drove early in its service life the suspension was junk right out of the gate.

Truck Shop

I believe the T only stood for turbocharged. There was also a TT designation but I'm not remembering it right now, brain is dead.