• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

crane operator

crane operator

Thanks for the identifier Rzucker, I just spent a while reading on them. I found a better picture without frame rails in the way. Looks like they would be a joy to keep greased and replace bushings on when they got bad.

kw torsion tube.jpg

Mother Deuce

I had a new one. There was a “heavy duty” version apparently. The company I was working for bought it as lowboy tractor. It never broke in the time I had it, but you had to be very judicious about entering a corner. The torsion bars didn’t have enough “hair” to return level while exiting a turn or highway sweeper. This was done, with like a 22 ton Grove on board by counter steering into which ever way it was leaning as much as you had to, to get back to a level ride condition after exiting the corner. This was most pronounced with the lowboy. With the flatbed this issue was not as evident.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I could see that, with the way that works, side to side sway would really be something on road. Bet it would be tippy also on a dump on a sidehill, compared with walking beam, or spring over beam or camelback.
Back in the days when I was dumb enough to hand load hay trucks, I drove an old K100 with torsion bars for a few loads, had a 24' deck on the truck with a 32' pull. We did the old "7 tiers on edge with a double Ellensburg tie" (you had to be a hay hauler) that truck was almost scary, if the curve said "50 mph" you took it at 40 and the top of the load was still in the other lane. It was also good for inducing seasickness.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I had a new one. There was a “heavy duty” version apparently. The company I was working for bought it as lowboy tractor. It never broke in the time I had it, but you had to be very judicious about entering a corner. The torsion bars didn’t have enough “hair” to return level while exiting a turn or highway sweeper. This was done, with like a 22 ton Grove on board by counter steering into which ever way it was leaning as much as you had to, to get back to a level ride condition after exiting the corner. This was most pronounced with the lowboy. With the flatbed this issue was not as evident.
Did it have centerpoint steer too? :D

Mother Deuce

Did it have centerpoint steer too? :D
The old K100 had center point, boy that added to the wiggle and wobble.
They would sure keep your attention I came into Yakima one morning with a 35 ton P&H and thought we were all going in the freakin’ river. It is no wonder my hair is white. I can not even imagine trying to run a tub or demo trailer with it!

Truck Shop

Actually KW torsion was every where but mainly fleets bought it because KW was selling it cheap verses other aftermarket at the time. They would low ball it on a fleet
specification sale. But it was crap, agreed Petepilot that kw has four strikes against it. Same problem with this kw plus it had a detroit.

001.JPG 002.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The 80 K100c I was dumb enough to buy was 8v92t fifteen speed deep reduction switch on the dash so an 8 speed
Torsion ride
Center point with those goofy but handy for steps stick out hubs and a wheel base way too tight.
Was steel frame was about the only saving grace
Reciprocity was ‘Red River Trucking, Portland’ was where my partner in crime was based
Was so much fun when those knuckle bushings wore out and they back flipped and locked