• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Old Doug

I am looking for something and i am serious. I want a 1973-1988 GM c60- c70 with air brakes,Gas engine i would pay more for a tilt hood no automatic and would rather it didnt have a 2 speed. If it was what i wanted it wouldnt have to run. I want a single axle but i would take something else.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I am pretty sure I can find you one of those around here in about 5 minutes... as well as every kind of conceivable vocational Mack and Brockway to go with it. The attached image is a very well kept, bright yellow, tractor of the flat fender butterfly hood variety. The east coast guy's seemed to prefer a look about their vocational trucks that indicated a readiness to storm a hostile beach and take no prisoners!. There are a number of well kept working and working restorations that rattle around here on a daily basis. They are usually pretty easy to spot as they glow in the dark they are so clean... or the sun is reflecting off the driver/owners smile! Sorry about the B&W I don't always have my color camera with me.View attachment 195286

There is something about those heavy duty east coast trucks that I like. Big Autocars, Macks, etc. 24" rubber on spokes says "I'm tough".
Throw in a 12V71 and I'm all over it. :D

Truck Shop

Pretty sure it's a C500, use to work on three C500 dumps just like that one. only difference is the fenders
round or flat.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
C500 with torsion bar! Minnesota Mags-No thanks to heavy to handle. They could have at least installed a 8V-71. Any of you fellers other than DM ever rebuild KW torsion,
what a job!

I did a torsion rebuild once... A torch, welder, and a lot of drilling. The owner went with a later Hendrickson extended leaf setup.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Yep I rebuilt the torsion suspension on a 68 W900 when I was 20-21. Still Have the truck in the shed. Pins, bushings and wood bearings. I think it took me a week. we didn't have very good air tools back than.
They did have good traction in snow, but the empty ride wasn't to great. I believe it had the heavy bars. 44,000lb. 46k maybe? Rode good if you were 90,000 gross.:D

I think the orange one is just like the 68 W900 I have. Are the white and black ones C500?

Well, It does look to have a shorter hood than mine. The front of the cab is not that far forward on mine. I think it starts behind the front fenders not between them.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I did a torsion rebuild once... A torch, welder, and a lot of drilling. The owner went with a later Hendrickson extended leaf setup.
My own K100 had torsion ride, was great until bushing got slack and the damned knuckles flipped over on a rocking crossing into a yard. Big H extended leafs were not much prettier, cross beam pipe and bushings wore, end cap beam end bushings wear and got sloppy. How many have actually driven a White Velvet Ride!! That ugly heavy 74 Acar I drove had that lovely suspension system, GAWD Awful ride and a real oddball setup.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I concur, A MESS!

As had been explained to me, the old A-car was a Glider on a Classic Japanese Freightliner, reportedly a 1970 or 71 that had been wrecked at the White Motor Dealer shop St.Louis MO. Everything about the old truck was shot, built wrong or just awkward when I got employed to run it. Gutless Super 250 was about crap worthless.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Velvet ride-what a marketing sales scam that was. Walking beam is easy if you use a gas powered cut off saw and just slice through the end beam bushings bolt all.
I have removed a set of beams in one hour cutting them out that way. Universal in Marysville Wa was the place to go for a Hendrickson rebush job, complete rebush
while you waited.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The number of grease fittings when first saw the KW was indeed interesting, like the entire rear half was equipped Lube fittings and tubes from fittings EVERYWHERE. Just knew was a good setup as greased should last forever, man was I ever WRONG!