• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Old Doug

I was trying to get the cab up on my truck today. The pump has a release screw to let the presser off but it has 2 way cylinders. So it must have power down. There is a rod or button sticking out of each side of the valve do you have to push one in to make it work? I worked on and drove it 20+ years ago but dont remember how it worked and now it probale has a problem because when you pump the handle it raises the cab a 1" up then gos back down its full of oil. I may hook my portapower to it.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I was trying to get the cab up on my truck today. The pump has a release screw to let the presser off but it has 2 way cylinders. So it must have power down. There is a rod or button sticking out of each side of the valve do you have to push one in to make it work? I worked on and drove it 20+ years ago but dont remember how it worked and now it probale has a problem because when you pump the handle it raises the cab a 1" up then gos back down its full of oil. I may hook my portapower to it.
If it's a Freightliner the reverse shift is automatic. Sounds like you may have leaking piston seals. And unless you know the truck well... always safety chain the cab just before it goes over center. I've seen a crash or two because of bad rod seals.

Old Doug

It is a Freightliner .I may take the hoses off and raise it some other way then secure it. Its has a 6v92 and i want to pull a valve cover before i start it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Old Dodge cabs were from the early pickup lines, much as the GMs and Fords, Corn Queens were not much better in the Loadstar Fleetstar lines. tight little buggers but did not have to worry of being thrown about in those cabs, could barely get out from behind the wheel!! Being 6'2" with a long torso made for a bad time on bouncy roads, had to remember to remove ballcap to keep from having that damned button beaten into the top of my head hitting the roof. Folding fenders did come in handy.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If it's a Freightliner the reverse shift is automatic. Sounds like you may have leaking piston seals. And unless you know the truck well... always safety chain the cab just before it goes over center. I've seen a crash or two because of bad rod seals.

Also seen the windshields deposited to the floor a time or two, usually just before the cylinders or their mounts parted and the cab followed on rebound. Used to be take the cab handle and press one plunger in, if that does not work(pumps wrong way) press the other. The release valve is for when crosses over center either way so can "Ease" down if it even stops. Does this one have the hydraulic latches or still have the flip up cab locks? Watch the latch if hydraulic, if extends then immediately returns then either have a problem in a cylinder or in the pump itself with that release valve section.

Old Doug

Used to be take the cab handle and press one plunger in, if that does not work(pumps wrong way) press the other. The release valve is for when crosses over center either way so can "Ease" down if it even stops. Does this one have the hydraulic latches or still have the flip up cab locks? Watch the latch if hydraulic, if extends then immediately returns then either have a problem in a cylinder or in the pump itself with that release valve section.
L pushed one at a time they wouldnt stay in when i pumped it so i held them in steal didnt work.Its a 79 and has handles to latches it. I will try it agin monday and if it dosent work i will get a fitting for the portapower and use a comeallong to hold it back.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Also seen the windshields deposited to the floor a time or two, usually just before the cylinders or their mounts parted and the cab followed on rebound. Used to be take the cab handle and press one plunger in, if that does not work(pumps wrong way) press the other. The release valve is for when crosses over center either way so can "Ease" down if it even stops. Does this one have the hydraulic latches or still have the flip up cab locks? Watch the latch if hydraulic, if extends then immediately returns then either have a problem in a cylinder or in the pump itself with that release valve section.
Knew a guy that tilted a newer Pete COE with a super sleeper and dropped the TV through the center of that huge windshield. Whoopsie.

Mother Deuce

If it only had flat steel fenders and a high mount cab with a butterfly hood.
I am pretty sure I can find you one of those around here in about 5 minutes... as well as every kind of conceivable vocational Mack and Brockway to go with it. The attached image is a very well kept, bright yellow, tractor of the flat fender butterfly hood variety. The east coast guy's seemed to prefer a look about their vocational trucks that indicated a readiness to storm a hostile beach and take no prisoners!. There are a number of well kept working and working restorations that rattle around here on a daily basis. They are usually pretty easy to spot as they glow in the dark they are so clean... or the sun is reflecting off the driver/owners smile! Sorry about the B&W I don't always have my color camera with me.A Car small.jpg

Last edited: