• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was lucky in that respect, never encountered the fog on Cabbage. So long as brakes were adjusted and reasonable shoes/drums, did not get lazy or horsey at the top of grade was not so bad, just snow and ice I did NOT enjoy. That trip thru CA in the Bulldog picking up produce was my first event on black ice in one crossing thru Flagstaff AZ. All too many close calls for myself over the years, I doubt have beyond one of my nine lives left anymore.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
2070A I ran on of those for a year Slant 6 Cummins and a 13 speed. Was a great truck a little noisy and a squeak on the cramped side.
We had one of those as a tractor for pulling stone trailers and small loads on lowboy trailers. The driver loved to go through the gears making all kinds of noise as it ran a straight stack and sure would let you know it!

One regret I have is not taking more pictures of the trucks and equipment we had over the years. But back then taking pictures was not as cheap and easy as now days with the digital stuff. Hate to think what it would cost if all the pictures people have on their cell phones were taken on Kodachrome and the delay factor of taking a picture and waiting a week or more to know if you had your thumb over the lens or Joe was picking his nose!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
There's about 4 matching 2070's near me, real pretty red trucks with 6-71I's in them. Lots of chrome and aluminum on them. Kinda funny for farm trucks. But they don't see a lot of use. 4 months a year tops.

Truck Shop

Okay now I have to ask, what the..... is a salt water Chevy? Is it a motor that was originally built for a boat that someone stuck in the 2070?:confused::confused:

Actually I started calling Detroits salt water chevy's years ago. I never heard anyone else ever use that term, I called Detroit's salt water chevy's on this forum and some have repeated it.
I have a. name for everything and everyone, there are 60 drivers and three main dispatchers and everyone has a nick name. A few of my favorites-Propeller Head Sr. and Propeller Head Jr.
Out Back Steak House, Nazi walker are a few drivers names. Les Schwab Employees-The Tire Nazi's .

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Actually I started calling Detroits salt water chevy's years ago. I never heard anyone else ever use that term, I called Detroit's salt water chevy's on this forum and some have repeated it.
I have a. name for everything and everyone, there are 60 drivers and three main dispatchers and everyone has a nick name. A few of my favorites-Propeller Head Sr. and Propeller Head Jr.
Out Back Steak House, Nazi walker are a few drivers names. Les Schwab Employees-The Tire Nazi's .
Which one was the guy I helped you winch out that one night?
20181029_234451.jpg 20181029_234451.jpg