• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mechanics: Large company VS small company

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
92U 3406,
One more piece of advice:
If you do start doing some side work watch out for the guys that don't maintain their equipment. The first clue is when they call they need it yesterday and when you get there their stuff is beat. Trying to help them out will end up hurting your reputation.

Thank you for the advice

Actually remember having a customer pull a stunt like that at the first dealer I worked for. Beat up old machine and they wanted us to go through it. They only wanted about 1/4 of what we found fixed. Fair enough, its their iron. They get it back and a week later its got all kinds of faults on it and its not running right. They were pretty upset because they just spent big money on repairs to this machine. Turned out the engine harness was shot. The kicker was that we quoted them an engine harness replacement and they decided it wasn't neccessary.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I got sick of both, so I started my own company :) Maybe the "pros / cons" of starting your own business is material for a different thread.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yes, then there are the guys who if you put a new cutting edge on the bucket of the front end loader and a week latter the radiator starts leaking they try to say it's your fault!
Hey you were the last one to work on it, don't you warranty your work?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I used to make notes for customers so they could research repairs at other shops if they chose to. Would let them know the repairs they NEEDED to get done as would shut down the machines but few if ever listened and went cheap on most occasions.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
True story, about a month ago, I got a call from my best customer. He's worth about 15K a year to me. He calls in a panic, saying he blew a hole in the heat exchanger on his ASV track steer. It's a big aluminum radiator like thing on the back that has 2 compartments, one for the engine coolant, one for the hydraulic fluid. I asked him if he was 100% certain it had a hole in it, he said yes. I told him I'll order one for him, that the part alone costs 3 grand. He said ok. He brought it in, he didn't want me to troubleshoot it, just replace it quickly. I swapped it out, serviced the fluids and filters, checked out the hydraulic system completely, and added a relief valve to assure it won't happen again. He took it back and works fine. I did some forensic testing on the exchanger, and it held 150 psi for an hour. That thing didn't have a hole in it, but it had hydraulic fluid all over the outside. I did notice that one of the filter gaskets looked a little damaged. I'm guessing that filter got a little pressure, and unseated the gasket, and sprayed fluid onto the exchanger, and his guys thought it was a hole. I haven't had the heart to tell him yet, don't know if I ever will. So I got a perfectly good exchanger for an ASV if anyone needs one :)

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I've been independent for the last 6 years, started out of the back of a pickup, saved up and bought my enclosed service truck outright, of course I'm not fancy but I do love my warm, wind/dust/snow free mobile shop.

I have very little overhead and pass that on to the customer with a lower rate then most other mobile mechanics around here, I do quite a few cash jobs for individuals throughout the year which allows me to keep being affordable.

I stay away from having to buy expensive diagnostic tools, though I would love to have them. Cannot justify the cost, if need be I just hire Brandt, Finning, Wajax etc to scan while I'm with the machine, that way I know exactly what's going on and it gets done right, just because they work for a big brand or have tickets for this and that, doesn't automatically make them any good. I've seen this many times...

I do not need undercarriage work in my life (my personal machines are another story!) I send all that to an aquaintance who has his own truck as well and is more set up for that type of work, still waiting for him to return the favor....

I have found the best way to deal with demanding nightmare customers who don't maintain their equipment is to not beat around the bush, tell them straight up what it is, "your machine is a wore out neglected POS, want me to just cut it up for scrap instead?" I don't worry about offending them because an unmaintained neglected machine offends me! I try to "teach" customers like that a lesson, if they figure it out, great! If not it just costs them in the end. A fool and their money are soon parted. The hardest part is saying NO!

Most of these people have burned many bridges, that gives us the upper hand, and if they don't like what they hear, they can find someone else, oh wait they pissed everyone else off! I have no feelings for these type of humans, I will take their money but it will be on my terms. Like it or leave it. Covering your ass right off the bat is crucial with these types! I demand written communication about the important details, that way I have an easy legal record of what was or wasn't said.

If they try to spread bad word, the other 50 satisfied customers will cancel it out. I'm in a small community so word travels fast, different in a big center?

Don't be afraid to tell the truth and what you feel is best. You'll get more respect in the end.

I'm a different breed then most, I do not like the idea of money and the way this world operates, I tend to barter quite a bit which usually works out well for both parties. I'm not out to get rich by any means, I make enough for what I want to accomplish in life and work usually comes to me when I need it. I work more for the challenge then the money, it feels good. Life is all about feeling good being happy and doing what YOU want to do, not what someone else wants you to do. I'm not going to die for money like a lot of people, make someone else all the coin while you destroy your body, start your own business but make a fatal financial mistake and do everything exactly the way the government wants you too (sheeple) finally get enough saved to slow down and relax then shortly after that get cancer from the asbestos you inhaled at said Jay oh bee and die an excruciating death. This is what happened to my father and it changed my way of thinking.

I'd rather live off the land in the bush, with nothing more then a knife and loin cloth, hey wait, I prit' near do! Hah!

Wow quite the rant.. Hopefully someone will agree with some of that, if any of it made sense. What a nut!

63 caveman

GregsHD,
If it work for you than it works for me. Your rant is what I think many of us feel at times. The bottom line is that if you are more useful to them than they are to you I think that is what we call freedom.

kjkoch

I loved working for a larger company until it became 12 hours from home instead of 5 . After 30 years at this, I think your reputation really means more than anything. My 3 sons are doing work for people I worked with in the 80's. Everyone has a different situation and you just have to find what works for you. It isn't always ideal, but it may lead to better things. I have come to the point that I hate to even send a bill out for 2 weeks or so, until I am totally sure the customer is happy, even though my accountant doesn't agree (wife) .

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I feel your pain KJ.. I've got 2 RIGHT NOW that wont pay or slow pay..
1 for 1080 & 1 for 650.. & the 650 is another fuel shop owner!! I had to call him lastnite & ask if he forgot about me?? His "excuse" was, he's going thru some medical issues, [prostate cancer] & needed the "cash" to pay the Dr..
I told him I'm sorry for your troubles but I did the work & its been 2 weeks since you got the pump back..
Then I said, I'll burn your house down for 300.00.. what'll think I'll do for 6.??? Lol
He "said" he'll get it out in the mail.. I wont see it for a couple of weeks.. & I KNOW he got paid CASH when HIS customer came to get the pump & was charged 1375.00.!!!
That's JUST ONE PROBLEM about going out on your own..
& I don't know if I'll ever see the 1080.00?? but atleast I still have the pump..

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Do any of you guys who do sidework carry insurance? I know I'd have to plate my truck as commercial since my insurance company doesn't allow any business use when under a personal use policy. I already checked.

Knepptune

When I was doing repair work I had to have a credit card number before I left the shop. Once I knew I was getting paid on a timely manner I backed off that. If I didn't know you, that service truck wasn't firing up till I had some numbers.

Once the work was completed they could pay however they wanted.

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
I have personally backed of sidework, too many "friends" wanting to trade favors instead of cash. That said, The side work I do now is more just non-wrenching related. I have worked in small shops, where there was 1 or 2 of us there and that was about the most laid back work envirenment, to big dealerships where I made awesome paychecks but beat my head against the wall. Now I work for a city fleet wrenching, fabricating, operating, and about anything else that needs done. I work for a smaller department within the city and it's all a little different, closer to working a small indy shop with the big company benefits. I talk to the mechanics in other departments and there is no way I would transfer over there, typical type of city fleet wrenches. I am the only mechanic in my department and about the only one even mechanically inclined so no one looking over my shoulder unless they are just curious.