• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mechanic school Caterpillar transmissions for sale

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
A private mechanic training school has given our Minnesota chapter of the Antique Caterpillar Club some heavy equipment transmissions for Cat equipment that they are, (sadly to some of us), no longer training on. They are to be sold with the money used for our Antique Cat restoration projects. They are all stand mounted and can be shipped via pallet. We have a Fastenal in Duluth if you prefer to ship via them. I can send photos by email on request. We do not know the internal condition of these, so we are selling them as cores. One says broken planetaries on it so we expect the other do not have broken parts as they are not labeled. One of our members whom is a Cat employee put the list below together, they may fit other machines also. I can be reached via email at thielingroger@gmail.com.
All offers will be considered.

They are,
1. 3K3151 Casting number, 3K1861- 977H Track loader #53A
2. 9M8330 Casting number, 8M7614- 988 Wheel Loader, Ser. #87A, 955 Track Loader Ser#85J
3. 4S6000 Casting number, 4S8562-955K, Ser#71J
4. 1M7880 Casting number, 1M8655- D7E, Ser# 48A, Broken Planetaries
5. 3P1689 Casting number, 8P7426- D8K Ser# 66Y
6. 7M1310 Casting number, 9M2010- D6D Ser#, 20X, 6X, 75W, 4X, 33X
7. 1S9741 Casting number, #1S,3247-966 loader 76A, 36A, & 950 Ser# 9A

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
A private mechanic training school has given our Minnesota chapter of the Antique Caterpillar Club some heavy equipment transmissions for Cat equipment that they are, (sadly to some of us), no longer training on. They are to be sold with the money used for our Antique Cat restoration projects.

Back in the day I might have found a buyer for the 966 and 988 transmissions. Would think that there might be a few around interested in most of them!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Back in the day I might have found a buyer for the 966 and 988 transmissions. Would think that there might be a few around interested in most of them!

I would think they would be quite handy to have around. They should be full of good parts if one needed something at some point. We had a total of three transmissions that mentioned something broke inside so we believe that these are probably Ok as far as being complete and nothing broke other than the one that has broken parts listed.

kshansen

Occupation
I would think they would be quite handy to have around. They should be full of good parts if one needed something at some point. We had a total of three transmissions that mentioned something broke inside so we believe that these are probably Ok as far as being complete and nothing broke other than the one that has broken parts listed.
If someone was planning on using them might be a good idea to replace any critical hardware. Back when I took a night school course just for fun on diesel engines the instructor mentioned that after a few years they started having a problem with bolts breaking. He figured it was from all the time being torqued and then removed by the students along with some not paying attention to the proper torque.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
For sure. Doesn’t take long for students to mess up a training aid component. Over-torquing, dropping stuff, prying stuff apart when there are still fasteners attached, forcing stuff together when parts are not lined up.

I admit to breaking a very expensive Euclid transmission case when I was 18 and attending trade school. The coal mine in Centralia Wa donated a monstrous transmission from some long-forgotten piece of haulage equipment. I wanted to take it apart in powertrains class and the instructor allowed me. I ended up trying to force a clutch pack into the drop box without proper alignment. Broke the case.

Funny thing, a month later, the mine had a catastrophic failure of a similar unit and purchased the now-broken transmission from the college for a silly amount of money.

Truck Shop

WWCC you didn't have to worry about the students breaking/exploding things the teachers
did it for them. Like showing how to cut the air off at the turbo using a clip board at full
throttle on a 3406B. Sucked the clip board in exploding the turbo. {And class that's how we
do a emergency shut down}:eek:.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
580AA37F-EAE0-4527-84BC-33C2E814DF70.jpeg “It’s a different age and a different time, what we called hard work is now a crime”

I didn’t say that. Long Haul Paul did.

But, at that same school, part of engine class was to “hot tank” your assigned engine block in the old-school formula, boiling caustic solution. You know the stuff that makes aluminum disappear over-night.

So, my lab partner and I soaked our block over night and then hot-water pressure wash it on a concrete wash pad that drained into China Creek. Now, that same area is a on-campus nature preserve.

I can’t imagine having students mess with boiling caustic in 2021. Normal practice in 1988.

kshansen

Occupation
WWCC you didn't have to worry about the students breaking/exploding things the teachers
did it for them. Like showing how to cut the air off at the turbo using a clip board at full
throttle on a 3406B. Sucked the clip board in exploding the turbo. {And class that's how we
do a emergency shut down}:eek:.
When we test ran an engine after a rebuilt at the quarry we had block off plates of 1/4 thick steel with large D-handles to keep finger clear. Almost sad to say never had the need to use them but they were ready just in case!

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Rog what happened to these? Some went to IA auction?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Rog what happened to these? Some went to IA auction?

Chaper Three sold two at the auction during the ACMOC National Show in Elkader, Iowa last fall. One more is looking for a reasonable ride to rural Western Canada. That one and the remainder are setting in a club member's shop in Montecello, MN. Don't know how long they will be there, he could use the room.