• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MD3060 Allison Issue

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Fellas,

I have noticed a small issue with the tranny (MD 3060) in my international 4700. When up shifting sometimes the tranny acts like it slips into neutral and lets the motor free rev up 500rpm+ before i can get out of the throttle and it catches the next gear usually with a jerk. I have not changed the tranny filter yet but that’s the first thing on my list when i get some down time. Any other ideas? Could a solenoid be going? Bad electrical connections? Sensors going? Any ideas would be appreciated. AS far as I know the transmission has about 107xxx miles on it.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The standard answer is another question, did you check the oil, on the level, hot, idling in neutral, with the dipstick (not the electronic doodad if it has one)

Do you know about the various diagnostic readouts available by pushing the up and down buttons simultaneously?

There are two filters, and they come in a pack, but there are two different depths of filter available, so you need to check yours.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
well i sort of expected the answer with a question. I have checked it several ways so far.

Ice cold truck not running. Level is way above the hot full mark
Truck running on the level cold. I have gotten a few different readings but it usually looks a bit high. One time it was sort of bubbly looking
Truck running on the level at operating temp. (i can't ever get the trans temp much above 115 degrees. ) It was just a little above the full hot mark.

I dont know why it seems to be so difficult to get a good accurate reading. Ive even cycled it into drive and neutral and reverse and back to neutral to measure it.

I dont have the electronic doo-dad although tht sounds fun.

I didn't know about the read-outs. How do I do that? Are the filters difficult to change? Never had medium duty tranny before. The fluid isbright red though to.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Sounds like the oil level is OK. Truck running, level, operating temp. is right. As you have discovered, there is a lot more oil in the pan when it is shut off. Give it several minutes of idle time and stick it and wipe it several times in a row and it will be easier to see the level.

Filters are easy to change. Just unbolt the two covers off the bottom labelled "Lube" and "Main" and then there is a spot to stick a screwdriver to pry the cover off (be careful) and the filter falls out along with a bunch of oil which splashes everywhere.

For electronic fun, push the up and down arrows in the selector at the same time. First it will display the electronic oil level sensor which I referred to as the doo-dad. If it has not been idling long enough it will show a countdown from 8 to 0 and then display the oil level as OL OK or OL LO 3 if it is 3 quarts low. If the temperature is too low it will say OL--TL, engine running too fast it will say OL--EH, and a few other codes.

Push up and down at the same time again and you will get the fault codes. It will say something like d1 xx where xx is the code number. If there are no codes it will say d1--.

If you change the oil I would suggest a Synthetic Transynd compatible oil. Chevron makes one and I think the OE was Castrol, just look on the jug for the words Transynd or TES-295. The oil change intervals are extended with Transynd; just go to Allison.com for more info.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'll have to have a little more patience checking it, I usually only wipe it once and read it the next time. Those covers are on the very bottom of the trans or lower one one side or the other? I called the dealer today to order the filters and they weren't sure whether they were internal or external. I gotta go get the serial number off the trans at somepoint and get them ordered.

What oil type was my very next question, thanks for that info! Do you also happen to know if the 530E motors are notorious for leaking around the crank pulley or the oil pan or from breather on the valve cover that hangs down to beside the oil pan? I also have some oil seeping out around the coupler for the oil filter that bolts to the block where it bolts to the block. I'm thinking I need to order a seal kit at some point and start pulling some thing apart! Its not terrible yet, just making a mess. The motor was pretty clean in flordia when I got the truck, im thinking it had just gotten a bath.

Any good tips about the dash losing all power/most of the power and the guages all freezing in place? Doesn't effect the truck at all just can't read any info from the truck!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I'll have to have a little more patience checking it, I usually only wipe it once and read it the next time. Those covers are on the very bottom of the trans or lower one one side or the other? I called the dealer today to order the filters and they weren't sure whether they were internal or external. I gotta go get the serial number off the trans at somepoint and get them ordered.

What oil type was my very next question, thanks for that info! Do you also happen to know if the 530E motors are notorious for leaking around the crank pulley or the oil pan or from breather on the valve cover that hangs down to beside the oil pan? I also have some oil seeping out around the coupler for the oil filter that bolts to the block where it bolts to the block. I'm thinking I need to order a seal kit at some point and start pulling some thing apart! Its not terrible yet, just making a mess. The motor was pretty clean in flordia when I got the truck, im thinking it had just gotten a bath.

Any good tips about the dash losing all power/most of the power and the guages all freezing in place? Doesn't effect the truck at all just can't read any info from the truck!

1. I don't think there was ever any option to have a spin-on type filter, just the pair of cartridges that come in a pack and are identical under one part number. There are two options; the shorter and deeper sump, measure from the bottom to the split line just as if it was an oil pan. Use OE filters.

2. You are best to post another question regarding oil leaks, the IH guys should spot the question better, but are you sure it is not just carryover oil vapors from the slobber tube all over the engine there? You didn't say what year.

3. See above, but that was a pretty common problem also, I have heard, but never had to fix one.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Well i just took the model number and serial number off of the tranny plate and gave it to the parts guys at the dealership. They deliver parts to my front door free of charge so thats pretty slick.

2. Its 2001 4700 lp. with a 530E. Well the slobber tube is definately doing its job, but the entire oil pan gasket is soaking wet and pretty black.

3. Well I think i posted before about losing the guages and it got significantly better when I cleaned the battery connections and insulated the wires going through the frame rail that had rubbed through but rough roads are what shuts them off of turns it back on so Im assuming its just a wire rubbing somewhere that needs to be insulated or a loose connection that im just going to have to deal with. Thanks for the help btw.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Well I could def try that, The thing is, the entire seal around the oil pan is wet, I, thinking it was not installed correctly or something? I also can't see very well where the crank comes out the front of the block, it may be leaking some from that seal as well. The oil filter housing is also leaking slowly where it bolts to the block. Gotta love 10yr old engines!