• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Maybe the best Hammer-Chisel for weld removal

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Maybe this is a well known tool that I never knew of...but I did discover its better uses for myself during today's shop time. I had to start some major repairs on my most used FAE cutterhead. I wore out the intake edge, sub-edge, chain plate and also realized the breaker bar liner pieces were really worn out. When I started removal of the hardened breaker bars, I was using a couple of cold chisels, a large pry bar and a small sledge to remove the parts after cutting out the welds with the plasma cutter. It was a slow and painful process. THEN, I remembered my Slide Hammer Tire Bead Breaker and figured it was worth a try. What was the worst that I could do? Trash about a $50 tool? There are plenty more available on Ebay if I broke it.
IMG_20201214_102644 alt.jpg
To my surprise, this budget priced tool held up extremely well and helped me make record time of removal of close to 30 linear foot of welded in surface and the 20 welded in pieces of hardened wear parts. Extreme prying WILL bend the cheap handle but continuous hammering of the curved surface to lift off the parts worked quickly and efficiently without damaging the tool. A good slam of the slide produces a hell of a whop. When I started on the chain hanger plate, results were the same - fast work and I never slammed a hand or finger. NO flying chisel bits either.
IMG_20201214_110146 alt.jpg
The trick was to undercut the leading edge that I planned to lift up with the plasma cutter on gouging setting. With the weld severed and the front lip undercut so as to provide a start point for the chisel end, I then took 1 deep or 2 shallow passes on the back weld to weaken its hold. At this point, if the front edge was severed completely, the slide hammer tool bit would lift the part up easily within a few brisk strokes and break off the back weld when it hit close to 90 degrees of movement. A little more touch up of the remaining welds with the plasma cutter followed by the grinder got everything in shape to weld the new pieces in place. My MIG set up with LA100 wire made quick work of setting the new parts down tight.

For about $50, I need to order another one or two of these tools. I think I should carry one on the truck. Thankfully, I rarely have to mess with my 28L-26 tires that I originally purchased the tool for. Today, it was well worth the money in the time that it saved me and no more flying chisels or bits. I thought I should share this for those whom have never thought to try it for a different use.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Necessity is the mother of invention :D

daveyclimber

Great tool suggestion. I did some similar repair work to my Fecon head a couple years ago. Looks like a great tool. Any tips on reseating a 28L-26 bead in the field? Hoping that day will never come.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Any tips on reseating a 28L-26 bead in the field? Hoping that day will never come.

Yep. Air Bellows Jack s-l64(8).jpg to lift the tire into position makes life much easier and so does a day with less than 75 degree dewpoints and temps in excess of 85 degrees. I custom bent a J bar out of an old bushhog blade and used that, chained to my excavator coupler, to de-rim the tires in order to replace the tube. Get at least 2 screw type rim clamps to help hold the tire in place for remounting. Additional help would also be great rather than working alone like I always do. Those big tires can kick your butt at the end of the day if you last that long with them. If I can find a tire jockey locally, I will pay to have it done next time.