• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Material left behind

Gwargo

Having a huge problem with material left behind with our older Wirtgens.
We run 2 Wirtgen 1000 and a 1900dc and a 1200f all of em leave lots of material behind. They are older machines and the back ends are a lil sloppy i was also tld teeth positioning can be a problem if they are angled out.
My question to the Wirt-Vets out there is what should i be looking for for wear and tear and also is it true about Teeth positioning?
I'll post pics with them in action.

ejuan

It´ll be good to see the pics. Commonly this problem happens when:

You are going to fast with the machine when milling kind of deep, so the conveyor is not capable of taking out all the material even at a 100% conveyor speed.
The back end being sloppy as you said I dont think is a problem, remember in milling mode it is used in a floating position, so the only force it makes is it´s own weight.
As for the teeth positioning. I dont recall any case where this was causing this type of issue. What you shoul check for is the materiall collectors that go in the center of the milling drum, as they help a lot in gathering all milled material, you should check for wear there.

How fast are you milling and how deep? Is your conveyor running at a 100%?

Gwargo

The material left behind is on both sides looks like 2 windrows, not a problem in the middle of the cut. They are older machines so I mill at slow speeds and slow right down at end of cut. Still meaning to take pics. Material is coming from both sides of the moldboard.

kramer

sounds like you need to do a little welding to your cutter housing and edges of the door/moldboard. in my personal experience the wear is from running with the rear of the machine crooked or cocked to one side or the other. i'd like to see a couple close ups of the door, housing and endslides.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Noticing the lack of the Wirtgen people around here lately...figures.

You might want to customized your mouldboard across the bottom with a solid plate of steel or carbide. There are also parts which attach to the end gates/skis which act as material control of the windrows. If you can get the schematics for the model of mill you have from Wirtgen it plainly shows all the required parts. If the wear is bad, start customizing. the down pressure will require a little attention but should automatically adjust if the additional parts aren't a drastic change.