• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Massey Ferguson Dozers??

holeworx

i have owned and used my MF300 for about 5years.no hard work.works good.unsure how to put pics on.have a look at .trademe.co.nz ,user name candig

Scrub Puller

Yair...I put around 3000 hours on a prototype 3366 in New Guinea in 1971/72. They were testing under tropical conditions and the company man showed me field reports of a similar machine working (I think in Norway) in the ice.

I liked it. Plenty of power, nimble...I modified the guide rollers on the track oscillation system but apart from that as well as I remember in those first hours it was pretty much trouble free.

aircommuter

Never heard of a MF dozer but I'll put money on a Perkins diesel......the hand priming pump for the fuel system will be on one side of the engine and the bleed screw will be on the other. So when you change a filter in the field, or replace the AC lift pumps which are forever leaking oil, you will need two people to prime the fuel system. This is great if you are on your own and 11 miles from the nearest person with no transport:(

Just thought I'd share that with you:rolleyes:
Don’t open the bleeder screw so far.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
There were two types sold in NZ , one range based on a tracked version of their wheel tractors . MF135-C and the MF174-C . 40 odd and 70 hp respectively They were inexpensive and well liked and tightly held mostly by farmers . Then there was the there were the others , the MF200 etc . One story I heard about the later lot was if operated on steep slopes would lose drive , leaving the driver waiting for the pump to pick up oil after a hairy ride down to the nearest level area .

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Colliers in Levin had a MF 100 with a PAT blade, a handy machine in the day. At that time MF sold 4 different sizes, 100, 200, 300 and 400 either as dozers or loaders. That was in the early 70's.

Welder Dave

MF never had an MF100 crawler or a 350. They did have a 350 excavator though. It may have been an MF2244 "crawler angle dozer" that you used. They had 200, 300, 400 and 500 that were MF designed and built. Later came the 600 and 700 that were Hanomag based. There were also the 2244 and 3366 as well as the 244 loader. There were 300, 400 and 500 AG crawlers as well 1114C and 1124C. Lastly the MF66 was available as a wheel dozer.

There's a bunch of misinformation in this thread. MF did buy Landini (to get into crawlers) but they set up the ICM division (Industrial and Construction Machinery) in 1966. The crawlers and excavators were designed in Detroit but built in Italy. MF started construction on a new factory in Aprilia Italy in 1967. There are users who have bought new MF machines back in the day and said they were ahead of their time. The 500 crawlers were one of the first non hydrostatic with counter rotating tracks. Talking with a dealer, they said one of the biggest mistakes MF made was buying Hanomag sometime around 1976. It greatly contributed to their downfall. It should be noted that several other players in the heavy equipment world became victims of the economy in the early 80's. It doesn't mean the machines were necessarily bad.

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
@ Welder Dave, before MF went to a 4 digit model numbers the model numbers I quoted are accurate. I didn't mention anything about a 350.

Welder Dave

@ Welder Dave, before MF went to a 4 digit model numbers the model numbers I quoted are accurate. I didn't mention anything about a 350.
There is no mention of a 100 model in "A World-wide guide to MF Industrial and Construction Machinery" by John Farnworth. If it was early 60's it might be possible. There are the odd mistakes in the book but it is very thorough.
Way back in the thread where years of production were listed a 350 was mentioned with other crawler models but it's possible it was in reference to an excavator although the the more common 450 excavator wasn't mentioned.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I'm pretty sure that little 174C is just a rebadged Landini. The Italians love those little "wheeltractors with tracks", with their 3PL.
They really suit the Italian style of farming, with small olive groves, small orchards, tomato farms, etc., often on slopes.

Tones

Occupation
That MF174 is an ag tractor
The MF 100 was a similar size with heap of differences, foot operated clutch,FNR lever mounted on the left side of the dash panel, blade arms on the inside of the track frame, no 3 point linkage or PTO.

Welder Dave

I wonder if the MF 100 you drove was a prototype before the 200 came out? Might explain why there's no listing of it anywhere.