• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Massey Ferguson 230 Oil Pan full of diesel fuel

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Environmental Services Director
Hello Guys!
I hope you are doing well and loving life!
I just bought a Massey Ferguson 230 that has a fuel and oil issue. When I bought it the oil pan was running over with diesel fuel. And as you know you never get the true or complete story when buying a used tractor that has issues.

I brought it home changed the oil and ran it for a while and it ran like a top no knocking or any negative attributes that I picked up on.

It sat over the weekend and when I went back to it this afternoon the oil pan was full of fuel again and no fuel in the tank. Is this something that you Guys could give me some direction on? I know it is possible for the fuel pump diagram to go bad and pump fuel in the oil pan. But I am not sure how it would drain from the tank while it is just sitting and not being run.

All info would be appreciated!

B-Crazy

Delmer

Where's the tank, above the engine? yes, if it has a fuel transfer pump on the camshaft, then the diaphragm will leak fuel into the oil. Loosen the two nuts that hold the pump on but leave them on the studs and the fuel lines tight, pop the pump loose so the oil runs out and pump the primer lever until the diesel drips out, then order a new pump. It can be the injection pump also, if you don't get any diesel from the transfer pump.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Where's the tank, above the engine? yes, if it has a fuel transfer pump on the camshaft, then the diaphragm will leak fuel into the oil. Loosen the two nuts that hold the pump on but leave them on the studs and the fuel lines tight, pop the pump loose so the oil runs out and pump the primer lever until the diesel drips out, then order a new pump. It can be the injection pump also, if you don't get any diesel from the transfer pump.

Thanks Delmer for the info!
Unfortunately for me I didn't get any leaking fuel from the transfer pump. :( But such is the life of buying old used tractors. o_O I bought it right so if it is the injection pump I will not be upside down in it but I know it will be expensive. :( :eek:

Is it pretty much a given that if the transfer pump is good it has to be the injection pump? When you told me it was one pump or the other I thought it would be the transfer pump because it runs really good. I was hoping that meant that the injection was good.

Do you know of anything else I should check before pulling the injection pump and taking it to the shop? The local injection shop is great with pumps but he is ROUGH on the pocketbook! :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks!
B-C

Delmer

the transfer pump is probably cheap enough that you'll want to replace it anyway. You did put some fuel in the tank before that test, right?

Contact thepumpguysc at aol dot com for anything pump related. He's the expert, and a leaking seal is simple, he'll straighten you out.

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Yes fuel in the tank and new oil (again) in oil pan. I keep the fuel valve on the tank shut off now.

When I drained the oil out this last I left the oil plug out and watched it for a few hours on and off, it will drip a drop of fuel from the oil pan plug hole every 2 seconds. Turn the fuel valve off and it gets slower and slower until it stops dripping.

Turn the valve back on and in just a few it starts dripping again. So it is a pretty substantial leak.

Thanks for the tip on the pump guy! If I can fix the pump without spending 3k to have to pump rebuilt that would be awesome!

B-Crazy

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I’ll help.. that’s what I do..
If ur feelin froggy, I’ll send u the front seal and walk u thru it..
BUT.. I gotta warn u..
Once u plug that leak, it’s gonna leak somewhere else..
It’s best to seal it all, once u have it off..
U can contact me directly..
thepumpguysc@aol.com

Reactions: DB2

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
I’ll help.. that’s what I do..
If ur feelin froggy, I’ll send u the front seal and walk u thru it..
BUT.. I gotta warn u..
Once u plug that leak, it’s gonna leak somewhere else..
It’s best to seal it all, once u have it off..
U can contact me directly..
thepumpguysc@aol.com

Thanks All,
I am reaching out thepumpguy directly now.

The taking bad checks comment must be an inside joke. However I doubt it was a joking matter to thepumpguy when it happened!

B-Crazy :eek: