• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCinNC

Have a MF 135 and when I went to start it for the first time this Summer, she won't run.

Some details if needed:
Believe in the 70's model range.
Perkins 3 cylinder diesel.
Never treated that well, but really abused either. Everything leaks and catches dust, but fluids are kept up.
Pretty much only used to mow the fields when needed.

Until yesterday it always cranked and ran on like the third turn regardless of temperature. Rrr, rrr, fire and run.
Go out yesterday, cranks fine, battery spins the engine fast, but won't run. Fuel is good too.

I changed the fuel filters as it was needed anyway. Start priming and have gotten fuel to the pump inlet. I take the line out and visually verify. Then I take the line loose on the injector pump going to the front cylinder and turn the engine over.

No fuel coming out. Does this confirm an injector pump problem?

Thanks.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Loosen the 5/16 bleeder screw by the name plate and crank the engine until u get a stream of fuel w no air and tighten..
Loosen the lines AT THE PUMP.
Pull the throttle to wide open.
Make sure the shut off is in the run position and crank the engine..
If no fuel is coming outta the pump, it’s stuck..
Time to remove the pump and send it to me ..

Hardlyworking

Not sure if you got it fixed, but my massey 135 gave me issues over the winter and I just got it dialed in. It died while my dad was using it for snow after one if our plow trucks died, I thought it was bad fuel because if I cracked the fuel lines at the filter it spurted fuel, and the ones at the injection pump. But upon more and more tinkering I figured it out to be the lift pump was weak. Also you may not be getting fuel out of the injector line because it's "stuck" the old masseys have rubber "olives" on the fuel lines.. Real pita to remove pretty much impossible, most times end up cutting the line and replacing it. I couldn't get fuel out of alot of my lines even with the nuts fully backed off unless I really wiggled them to break them free, even then sometimes they didn't spurt fuel.

JCinNC

Not sure if you got it fixed, but my massey 135 gave me issues over the winter and I just got it dialed in. It died while my dad was using it for snow after one if our plow trucks died, I thought it was bad fuel because if I cracked the fuel lines at the filter it spurted fuel, and the ones at the injection pump. But upon more and more tinkering I figured it out to be the lift pump was weak. Also you may not be getting fuel out of the injector line because it's "stuck" the old masseys have rubber "olives" on the fuel lines.. Real pita to remove pretty much impossible, most times end up cutting the line and replacing it. I couldn't get fuel out of alot of my lines even with the nuts fully backed off unless I really wiggled them to break them free, even then sometimes they didn't spurt fuel.

Where you been? Could have saved me $$$. (Kidding)
I just sent off the injection pump today to rebuild.

It could be the lift pump as you describe so I'll have to get into that too if so. Thanks for the information.
I did change the filters and opened the lines coming from them too the pump while cranking and got what seemed a good pumping stream but I don't have any chart for volume & psi that it should produce.

Hardlyworking

The lift pump is cheap, and was easy to change. Honestly I keep one of those little 12v fuel pumps around at all times on the shelf, if I start having issues with something running I just put that inline and see if it helps. If it does you know it's a fuel supply issue, I took the line going from the tank to the pump off at the pump, hooked it up to the 12v pump with a rubber line and over to the injection pump. Fixed my issue so I knew it was lift pump. This is the style of 12v pump I'm talking about. Basically any "low pressure" pump. I use it on older vehicles too when trying to get them running.
https://www.amazon.ca/CarBole-Perfo...ocphy=9000719&hvtargid=pla-571072906756&psc=1

JCinNC

Thanks. Think I'll get the pump on your recommendation as I have other things to troubleshoot.

Welder Dave

Lift pump is a common problem. There is or was a kit to rebuild them but it wasn't much cheaper than buying a new complete pump. I've changed the lift pump a few times on my 1965 UK135. Still the most reliable machine I own and it even has a working Multi-Power transmission. Had a mechanic friend pull the top cover off the injection pump a few years ago to fix some minor issue. Thepumpguysc told me the parts I needed but had to get a full kit because they aren't sold separately. Engine runs great but doesn't come all the way back to idle when it's warm after using it. It will come back to about 900 RPM's which is OK but if I rev it up to about 1700 RPM's and quickly move the throttle to idle it will come down to 725-800 RPM's. The tach jumps at idle. Not a big deal just interesting why it won't come all the way down if you slowly lower the RPM's.

Welder Dave

I'll try to remember to look at it when I go out there. I know we had to turn the idle screw up a bit once we put the top back on. Maybe that has something to do with it???