1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Mark up on older used equipment?

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Welder Dave, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

Sounds like a good deal i hope both deals work out for you good luck.

2. Muffler Bearing

Muffler Bearing Senior Member

Truck Mechanic
    IMG_3458.JPG I just tried to make a joke and then this got dropped off

CM1995 likes this.
  3. boaterri

boaterri Well-Known Member

Retired Television Engineer
    We ancient humans like old equipment. We can actually repair it.

oarwhat, 673moto and Tugger2 like this.
  4. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

I second that.As i have said before ,what does it take to melt down old machines build new ones with added plastic and computers . Yes there are many improved capabilities and labor saving abilities. How far do we need to go before us humans just are not required any more?

5. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

I have a feeling the machine with the broken axle was sold because now I can't get ahold of the guy. I found another grader I'm going to look at this afternoon. It's a mid 80's with a Cummins and he's asking $16,500. A little more money but sometimes it's better to not have to do a major repair just to try a machine out. Seller seemed nice, said only problems he knows with the machine is the exhaust manifold is cracked, 1 door handle is broke and 1 tire looses air if it sits for a while (tire shop told him the O-ring in the split rims is likely cracked). He used the grader to build a horse riding arena and doesn't need it much anymore. The manifold could maybe be welded but I'd have to look at it. It could be a negotiating tool. Probably easier to replace/repair the exhaust manifold than repair a broken axle. At least can run the machine and make sure the transmission, brakes and all functions work properly. Also the machine is a lot closer, maybe an hour away from my home and I think closer to my land but not sure. If it took up to 3 hours would likely just drive the machine to my land instead of trying to find someone to haul it. Here's a pic. of it. It has a 16ft. blade which isn't as common but a longer blade is supposed to be better for levelling.

s-l640.webp (640×480) (ebayimg.com)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    petepilot and Tinkerer like this.
  6. terex herder

terex herder Senior Member

There are very few things more difficult to weld than a well used cast iron exhaust manifold. If it must be fixed a scab patch is more likely to be successful.

673moto and Welder Dave like this.
  7. TD24

TD24 Senior Member

RETIRED (Mostly)
    Sometimes; at an auction, in the frenzy of bidding you can pay too much....
    Words to live by......

8. Welder Dave

I'll will check how bad the crack is and see if it looks like it's going to continue. A cracked manifold isn't usually a deal breaker and I think a Cummins would be a nicer engine in a grader than a 4-71 or 6-71 Detroit. Quieter, better fuel economy, uses the same oil as my other machines and not likely to have a runaway like a Detroit can. I'm not sure which model of Cummins but I think an 8.3 or could possibly be a 5.9. Going to meet the seller in a couple hours. I don't want to miss out on a good deal (you snooze, you lose) but will look the machine over as best I can using some inspection info I got off the net regarding graders.

9. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

I'd guess m11 or l10 in that grader

John C. likes this.
  10. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

730 champion graders listed for sale have 8.3 cummins in them, from the pictures I saw.

11. Welder Dave

Well I bought the grader. Engine started right up and ran great and the transmission appeared to work very well too. I couldn't see a tag on the engine to see the model. Seller didn't know the year but I'd guess 84 to maybe 86. Oldest it could be is 84 because that's when the 730A model was introduced. Glass on 1 door is cracked. Crack on manifold isn't too serious. It is enough the side of the oil filter turns black. Might be able to stop it leaking with high heat ceramic exhaust putty. If not I think just wiring a piece of sheet metal around it would be sufficient. Seller has a brother who's a mechanic and said it wasn't worth breaking a bunch of bolts off to change the manifold. Seller has pins holding it in the straight position because he didn't know how the articulation works and never needed it. I'll have to get a manual on how everything works. I got it for $15,000 and the seller will deliver it for $500 which I think is much better than taking a chance driving it especially since I'm not used to driving a grader on the road. Seller didn't seem the type that was trying to swindle someone. He did say the grader was easy on fuel. A few things to fix or figure out but I think you'd find that on any older machine in the same price range. I think the Cummins engine is a bonus over a 2 cycle Detroit. It's actually pretty quiet. There's an AM radio in the cab but I never checked if works. Here's a pic. of it.

s-l640.webp (640×480) (ebayimg.com)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    aighead and Delmer like this.
  12. Welder Dave

That's what I've seen too. I'm trying to find some literature on the series I 730's. Shouldn't be too hard to confirm it.

13. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

I doubt you'll ever regret paying a little more for a much nicer machine. cry once.

14. Welder Dave

I've seen a little nicer cosmetically of the same model and about the same year for $32,000. Engine is a Cummins 8.3 207 HP. One lift cylinder has a slight weep but not enough to drip or cause the cylinder to creep. Trans. looks like it's wept some over the years but not obvious drips. Front axles seemed good when they were picked up. Going by a known serial number of an 85, I think it's either a late 85 or early 86 series II machine. It's not perfect but seems to run great and most of the functions work. Have to look into how the articulation works(may not need it) and not sure if the AC works. There were some serrated ice blades the seller used to have on it that he will throw in. The edges on it now are worn more on one end than the other. Didn't appear the frog was worn into as all the bolts had lots meat beneath them. 2ft. blade extension was welded on which shouldn't be a problem but easy enough to cut off if I want a 14ft. blade. It's a gamble but hopefully nothing major to repair. It will let me do a lot of things faster once I get it somewhat figured out. A grader is a machine that's a lot bigger in person than seeing in a picture and a little intimidating. I might see if the instructor from the operating engineers could come over and give me some pointers. He's been running graders a long time. Hopefully he doesn't laugh but I can't afford a 500K grader or 3 like he gets run.

Delmer and aighead like this.
  15. Muffler Bearing

Muffler Bearing Senior Member

Truck Mechanic
    I dunno, spending a day extracting broken exhaust bolts can be kind relaxing. If you find a manifold you should just go for it.
    Sounds like a nice machine. Maybe the a/c just rubbed a line through and quit working.

16. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Sounds like a good deal. Better then the seller you were looking at prior, I remember looking at his older ads claiming a bunch of BS on items, it's nothing more then someone trying to flip auction stuff.

17. Welder Dave

I hope it's not a bad omen (on Friday the 13th no less) but I made a deal with the seller of the grader I looked at because I never heard back from the other guy. I was at the bank getting the money and the other guy finally called me back, albite a little late. I think it's pretty crappy if someone backs out of a deal at the last minute so I didn't need to think about it much. The other machine may have been better but maybe not??? With a broken axle there's no way to know. New paint and other cosmetic's don't mean squat if there's a major problem with something else. The grader I bought wasn't washed or anything, the seller wanted people to see it in it's work clothes. I can respect that. I asked him and he said he could wash it for me. That way I can keep an eye on how bad the trans. or other components may weep. A tiny weep can look worse than it is if it's been going on for several years. Nothing attracts dust and dirt like oil. Hopefully I made a good purchase and the grader works good for me in the somewhat limited use it will get. I think once I figure it out it will be like my skid steer and I'll find all kinds of things it will do better and faster. It will sure help open the MX track earlier in the summer. I'll be able to clear the snow off the track and parking lot which speeds up the drying process immensely.

nicky 68a and Tinkerer like this.