• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Marine diesel

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Nige, have you ever heard of a Crossley engine? Though not a marine engine a mate sent me a video of it and has been restored to operating order. Its a flat (not horizontally opposed) 2 cylinder engine and weighs about 30 tons. The flywheel weighs 12 tons. Its original use was generating electricity and sat outside uncovered and unused in a coastal environment for 45 years.
I can't seem to be able to post photos or video of it running.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here's the longer version including the engine being started. The Crossley brothers apparently had some good teachers. One was apprenticed at Robert Stephenson & Co, and the other to W G Armstrong (later to be Armstrong Whitworth) on Tyneside, a hub of English engineering in the 19th Century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossley

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige, have you ever heard of a Crossley engine? Though not a marine engine a mate sent me a video of it and has been restored to operating order. Its a flat (not horizontally opposed) 2 cylinder engine and weighs about 30 tons. The flywheel weighs 12 tons. Its original use was generating electricity and sat outside uncovered and unused in a coastal environment for 45 years.
I can't seem to be able to post photos or video of it running.
I had to do some research but I think you are speaking about a Crossley-Premier engine. There is a paragraph in the Wikipedia entry on this part of the Crossley Company. Funnily enough they manufactured engines in Nottingham which is only about 20 miles from where I grew up. This is the only video I can find, and it appears to be of a flat-8 installed in a pumping station somewhere in Fens in the East of England. Not a very good quality video but interesting nevertheless.

mekanik

During my career I worked on a few old fishing boats. Some were old and had
some antique engines in them. One had an Easthope engine with external
rocker arms and pushrods that ran a hydraulic pump. Another one had a
Cummins V1710 525 HP V12 in it.

cw4Bray

This is an unreal engine that's probably 120 years old ! It would be fun to walk on a catwalk suspended over a crankshaft.

The second link talks about how he built the engine. Just watching the YT movie, it looks like a compound motor with each crank moving at different speeds for HP and LP.

The Third link is Canadian.

Last edited:

chidog

Large engines !

As far as I know all large low speed 2 strokes, like those huge Sulzers, Wartzillas, Man B&W like in some of the photos in this thread are all weldmet crankcases/ blocks, aka in that world as the frame.
Even some of the large medium speed engines like the OP fairbanks morse, and EMD's are fabbed.

I know cast iron works and makes a very stable foundation, absorbs vibrations well etc.
I just have a difficult time figuring out why on some very large engines that weight up into the 300,000 pound plus area would be manufactured using cast iron.
I remember years ago seeing a totally destroyed 3500 V16 block from a tossed rod and piston, it was scrapped. Its just so difficult to fix as in welding cast iron, other than the costly metal stitching and pinning technique. Too me it is gamble of very costly proportions to use it for such an expensive engine.
Curious what the price tag is on them?
The big plus for cast or nodular iron is for the cost to the builder, weldmets are much more expensive.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
The F/V Coastal Pride has a Gray Marine 6-71 and She’s still plying the waters since 1948. Keeps a good Metlakatla family fed. Hard to believe a wooden boat like that is still in service. I had the opportunity to sail on her. Not my picture. 0BF60310-AE19-42D3-821C-C939117D9AE8.jpeg