• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Marine diesel

skyking1

they were at anchor at the time. they had run into problems and laid up at anchor, then broke up in the swells and sank. Despite the nearby ships, 3 of the crew perished.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Only extreme luck would enable survival in those seas. It’s a nightmare that no sailor wants to experience.

Truck Shop

Only extreme luck would enable survival in those seas. It’s a nightmare that no sailor wants to experience.

Something I haven't said, thought about in a long long time.

In 1980 I was visiting my mom in Red Bluff on my way through in a truck. She remarried a man in late 70's-he was a little on the quite side.
I stayed over using a spare bedroom, I noticed several photos of him in Navy uniform, for some reason I turned each one over to look at the
back. The last one I was stunned-It had his name and USS Indianapolis. I asked my mom about it later-She said what ever you do-do not bring
this up or try to discuss it with him-he gets angry and out of control.

And I will not talk about it anymore than what I've said above nor will I mention his name. understand.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Older brothers FIL was Dewey Allgood, now deceased was Univ MO Rolla Head Football Coach. Dewey had two instances of his ships sunk from under him in WWII, he spoke VERY little of any of those instances. Was on the USS Beatty for his first, never learned of the second.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
DMillar, it's been my experience that service personnel who saw the most speak the least.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Agreed

My BILs step father was Charlie Stockhausen
Aided me with a recommend to gain employ at Union Electric as we had been friends and family for many years
Charlie came off the Chosin Reservoir as a First Marine
He would allow glimpses of those hours at best, harrowing times and events I cannot even imagine surviving or having had to deal with.

skyking1

My dad was on Kwajalein, Saipan, Tinian, Iwo Jima. I can attest to that. Once I tried to have him address the history class. That was a huge mistake.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Charlie started in US Army in WWII, Iwo, Guadalcanal, he too fought some bloody campaigns against a gruesome enemy prior to Chosin. Had a sheet of battle ribbons on his dress blues as they laid him to rest, very sad to see him pass but he had paid his price to redemption.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One lingering memory as Charlie spoke to us while reloading some .06 at the BILs, he reflected as to sitting in a trench atop a hill, he and his Platoon, using bayonets they hacked off the tips of ALL their rounds and reloaded the clips for the next surge. The ChiComs were high on Opiates, only way to stop them was carnage damage not thru and thru Mil Round typical injuries. He looked around at us, and sat down to a beer, Silent for the rest of the afternoon. We all knew he was reliving that moment of time as spoke it. He and only Six others came out from that platoon off that hill. I got that from one of the six I was honored enough to get to speak with.

The gentleman wrote the basis of the book on this horse, from his memories of it:
The Story of Sergeant Reckless: Korean War Horse Served with Valor | America's Best Racing (americasbestracing.net)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And some People are beyond anal when it comes to their machines, nearly caressing and stroking as if in love with them and generally they are.
Hate to say I could be as bad on certain machines.