• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Marine diesel

Truck Shop

Because my shop/work place is located at the Walla Walla airport and the shop door opens to a view of the take off staging apron, I have seen all kinds of shenanigan's
on the run way. I have spent my life working starting with growing up on a dairy. Swimming ? Never learned and I'm not going to bother now.

skyking1

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Lost power, no way to drop them in the water. Ship appears to be sailed with the wind but riding in the trough. It will be rolling heavily. A powered ship at sea in a storm with no direction control is worse than a cork in a bath tub with a six week old cat.

John C.

Occupation
I've seen several 6-71s run backwards. They were boats sitting in the water with a wet exhaust so they put out some white smoke through the silencers that made things a little exciting.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Lost power, no way to drop them in the water. Ship appears to be sailed with the wind but riding in the trough. It will be rolling heavily. A powered ship at sea in a storm with no direction control is worse than a cork in a bath tub with a six week old cat.
Lost the biggest piece of deck cargo (amazingly undamaged) and was successfully towed into port in Norway the following day. Now back in Holland and under repair.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
I have seen a dd15 run backwards Detroit said it was impossible until they pulled the ecm and read it this was also an automatic truck so no way to kill it ruined the crank with only 40000 miles

Truck Shop

Because of your post it caused me to remember the Wizard of id.

About 10 years ago at the local WWCC community college there was the Wizard of Id , instructor for part of the diesel program. He was demonstrating how to kill a would be
run away diesel engine with nothing more than a clip board. He had his assistant full throttle a B Model Cat then slammed the clip board over turbo intake which proceeded to
crack and bow the Masonite clip board sucking it and anything else loose near by into the compressor turbine. He stopped it all right--Expolded the turbo. Fortunately none of
the students got nailed-he lucked out also. But his face was red as a beat with embarrassment, his nick name became Turbo City.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Watched in Awe as a 318 with the Emergency stop intake assembly OFF ran away then ate a full size ST Louis Yellow Pages phone book in the blower lobes. Did finally die, as the blower drive shaft splines sheared away.

John C.

Occupation
This happened before I got to the ship I was on with the Fairbanks gensets. The aft generator was running on a test with about 500KW of load. The air intake was on the main deck and you could walk right by it. A yard worker was carrying a sheet of plywood in the vertical position and got too close to the intake and the plywood was sucked up tight. It pinned the guys fingers against the bulkhead and the plywood and put some hurt on his fingers. It sucked all the air intake ducting flat in a matter of seconds and killed the engine and blacked out the back half of the ship. They had just replaced all the ducting when I got on board and they put some valves in the ducting that would allow air to be sucked in from the space that the engine was installed in. They also welded bars over the intake out on the deck so another piece of plywood couldn't be held tight against the suction.

John C.

Occupation
Always emergency lights on a nave ship. That and plenty of imagination.