• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Manitou 1742

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
This machine has about an 18 yard reach. We were the first to hire it and it proved very capable. We are working on the side of a hill and the cross axle hydraulic levelling as well as the stabilizer arms were absolutley vital to getting nearly 2 tonnes out to full stick.

I didn't take any photos in the cab but I can tell you on this job it was a very busy place putting about 100 cubic yards or dirt back behind the wall. At your right hand you have 7 levers...with 2 at the left ...when you have nothing else to do, you steer with your spare hand!. Every bucket was lighting up the load meter..steady steady with the stabilizers down. Makes for a few hours of fairly intense concentration. On top of this there is a bit of traffic up and down the road.

Like all Tele's the view to the right is poor at best. The machine was picking up buckets from the stockpile pretty well. The steering and turning circle was a joy. Cab was pretty average...no cup holder and not the best ergonomically. Controls are typically english/french...not really that easy to understand or organised in a rational manner. Two days and I'm pretty used to them. Most of the time I would use my right hand on the loader stick and reach across to the boom control with my left.

Because I'm used to excavators and the space you have to get in and out I found the lack of a control lock out a bit disconcerting when entering and exiting the cab while the machine was running....but I don't think Manitou are on their own in this department.

Basic daily maintenance checks are easy. I'd hire again not probs....would I buy..French built....spare parts take forever and costa bomb....no thanks...All around a very capable site machine.

Attachments

• new_Manitou 096.jpg
    new_Manitou 096.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,412

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I ran a Cat version once for a few hours doing the same thing I had someone else finish. It wasn't for me I don't mind going slow, but that was too slow. I had to slide the seat all the way up until my knees hit the dash so I could more comfortably run the controls. I you build the wall to?

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Dozerboy said:
I ran a Cat version once for a few hours doing the same thing I had someone else finish. It wasn't for me I don't mind going slow, but that was too slow. I had to slide the seat all the way up until my knees hit the dash so I could more comfortably run the controls. I you build the wall to?

Dozerboy: Yep we built the wall. The cab had lots of room but the steering wheel is not tilt adjustable. I think they could have repositioned the seat and made better use of the space.

Xing: I post a few more a bit later...after I've had a shower!:)

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Here's a couple more..forgot to take a photo in the cab before we put the machine on the low loader this afternoon.

Attachments

• new_9 courses 001.jpg
    new_9 courses 001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,283

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
If you were to become really interested in buying one of these, you definitely wouldn't be limited to French manufacture/support. Everybody and his uncle markets these things, and there's more getting into the biz all the time.

Check out this list of manufacturers:
http://guide.constructionequipment.com/companylist.aspx?pid=925&ctype=m

Popularity for the kind of work you did here and more is driving double-digit growth in sales of telehandlers. I'm writing a story right now about these machines for our June issue.

For those of us here in North America, Case/New Holland are expected to start marketing telehandlers in the US this year. I was at a tradeshow in France just this week where I saw the models they're marketing in Europe. Also saw that Komatsu had a telehandler on its stand. Not sure if/when we can expect it in North America.

L

Framer

The last statement hits the nail on the head.

"Basic daily maintenance checks are easy. I'd hire again not probs....would I buy..French built....spare parts take forever and costa bomb....no thanks...All around a very capable site machine."

This is why I might ditch mine

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
This is why I might ditch mine

You can't leave us hanging with a statement like that:rolleyes: Do tell...

That was some time back and when I hired a guy stopped to talk for awhile at the end of the day. He had a smaller one and told me off his nightmare with getting an injector pump for his model. Sort of put me off...but maybe things have improved here. I liked the machine and it dug well for a TH.

Framer

First off, I own a Manitou 1745HSL Turbo. The machine is the Caddy. It has hydrostatic transmision, weight sensors and single lever controls. First off I don't like the Dealer or they don't like me. We started with a delivery issue, which turned into a dispute over a rental machine with nasty calls from collections. The salesman should have eaten the rental machine for 1.5mnths but that never happened. Finaly came to a settelment and agreed to pay when it was convenient for me. When payed they closed my account and put me on COD for service etc. Then they billed somebody elses credit card for service. As far as parts are concerned, engine parts are easy because there is tons of Perkins out there. Electronics are what scares me. Just had to replace a joystick - $2000 can. The thumb control broke and the part was $850 and had to be shipped from france for five days. Could not afford the downtime waiting so replaced the whole joystick wich they did have in stock. Had the computer replaced under warranty but multiple service calls to get Manitou to admit it was the computer. Apparently if the service guy is on the phone with the rep from manitou and its the reps lunch the rep will say - its my lunch, talk to you later. A couple of the hydraulic filters are extremely expensive as well, like $400 and 200. I think is spent 800 on the hydraulic filters and cartridges. Also the third boom section is erratic, it works 70/30 for no reason. Could have actually been the joystick becuase it's worked since i changed the joystick. I've had problems getting the dealer to look into anything as to why it's erratic for me. I just feel alone. Cannot find a service or parts manual online. Gotta go thru an inept dealer. Also it's $60 for a 2 foot long metal rod that pulls the door open from the inside, it think i might make it out of a clotheshanger. The only thing is I don't know if any of the other manufactures are that much better? Had a JCB before and the dealer basicaly bumbled a part that was in Georgia. Could have been fedexed overnight. At least JCB now sells there machines thru more than one outfit in alberta, which is good.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Used these up in the diamond mines in Northwest Territories. Worked out well there in extreme conditions. Didn't have many hours on them so can't comment on long term reliability or repairs. Just know they were user friendly.