• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Man lift safety belt

Ronray

I'm looking for advice and recommendations on how to pick a man lift safety belt. I will be using the man lift to prune tall trees. Also wondering if there are any kind of special ropes or hardwear for rope that I could use to carabine down to the ground in case the emergency boom lowering and retraction buttons failed.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I believe you're supposed to be in full safety harness and tether, not just a belt. As far as a rappelling rig, I don't know how that is viewed. I had asked a while back who used what as far as harnesses. Miller seemed to be the hands down winner.
Hope this helps.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'd advise you to consult the machine's operating manual and your local safety regulations. Not all man lifts are the same, not all areas have the same rules. The region I'm in all companies have prohibited the use of fall arrest belts.

Ronray

Funfuel, I spoke with Honeywell Miller at length discussing their products and they suggested a floor restraint non shock absorber lanyard to keep me in the basket so I don't get catapulted out. So I'm thinking a double lanyard that attaches with D rings at the hips would be a little less traumatic than attaching between the shoulder blades if the platform does bounce up and down?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
92u, why would they disallow the use of fall arrest belts?

What hosspuller said.

Big chance for massive internal injuries in a fall if using a belt. There's an insane amount of force generated in slowing a human body even in a 4 foot freefall. The full body harness spreads the force out over more of the body instead of right on the waist.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
I don't think belts are legal anymore, you want a full harness and use a 4 foot fixed lanyard .
I use a Vest stile ( Fall Arrest Full Body Harness ) this would probably be better if your trimming trees less straps to catch branches