• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Making trails steep terrain 300 acres brush & trees

Hobbytime

The power company had a machine like yours, but BIGGER..this thing ate anything in its way and left small chips behind it, im sure it cost several hundred thousand to buy...I cut lots of trails through the woods with my d58 and dressed them with a 75 horse new holland tractor with a box blade....this year I picked up a john deere 355d track loader with a 4 way blade and once the woods dry out enough ill see what trails can be made with that...the trails I made with the d58 were 10 ft wide, as that was the blade size, and as the years go the trails get smaller in width, I would go at least 6 or 8 ft wide the first time through..

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I'm still having some issues with the new machine. I posted a thread on the following link:
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/issues-with-lamtrac-mulching-machines.66538/

When I get out and cut some more, once the issues are fixed, I will try to post up some new pics. I need to get a bunch of pics of this machine for my marketing. Dis-assembly pics don't bring in the contracts!
View attachment 168057

Here I was sizing up the machine on the truck that I custom built for it.
View attachment 168054

When I seen he tail of the truck then it all came back to me. The cool custom bed.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Where are the pictures with your new machine in it? We patiently(?) wait to see them
I've been out working a few steep jobs lately. Here are some pics of the new-to-me machine doing its thing. I still need to take some trail pictures.
DJI_0085a.JPG
Above: finish quality work
Below: rough in on same job above
nygren 1d.jpg

Another overlook in the same subdivision but a wee bit steeper.

mathis after 2.JPG mathis after 4.JPG

Graham1

Isn't clearing all the vegitation off slopes that steep going to lead to massive erosion when it rains hard?
Graham

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I think it's just knocking it down. That's usually why you would use a muclher rather than up root it. It should grow back without soil disturbance

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Isn't clearing all the vegitation off slopes that steep going to lead to massive erosion when it rains hard?
Graham
Absolutely NOT. The stumps remain in the ground and the mulch is cast directly on the ground. The root base of any grasses remain and they pop back up within days and lock the mulch in place. The mulch helps retain moisture for the grasses and locks them in tighter than before. It is nothing more than a win-win situation.

I am currently working on my 20th year of mulching services. I've worked flatter and steeper jobs than these pictured and never had erosion issues from my work. And regarding the rains, I worked that job below the log house while it was raining that day. I only slid one time after we got close to 1/2" of rain that day.

craig60

Go to www.sutterequipment.com and you will find the finest purpose built trail building machine ever made. It is made in Moundhouse, Nevada, a suburb of Carson City. Our Dirt bike club has one and it is one hell of a machine. Read the specs and watch all of the videos that you can find, not just the Sutter videos. It builds 48 inch wide tails in all sorts of terrain. It is powerful and heavy enough to do the job.
Jim
I finally picked up one of the Sutter 480 dozer in Mound House Nevada. They had a used 2009 that they took in on a trade and went through it and fixed everything that needed fixing. I've been wanting one for over 20 years. The stars finally lined up where I could get one. Picked up Thursday.
Dozer.jpg