• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Making a Stainless exhaust manifold

Volvomad

Hi all. I cant get an exhaust manifold for an old 2 pot deutz air cooled engine in an ingersland compressor so I started making a stainless steel one . The before I went too far I said I might ask the ye am I crazy ? or might it work . It will only run 10 to 20 hours per year .

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
If the ports line up from the head to the manifold and seal up and don't leak, I can't see any problem. Some people (like me) have more time than they have money, I say have at it!

Volvomad

Not too much time or money on my hands . I know nout about headers on gas engines but I will give it a lash anyway .

lantraxco

Looks like you are building it on the kitchen table!:eek:

Not me, lol, I just grabbed those pictures off the web.. wouldn't be the first engine built on a kitchen table, or in the living room for that matter!

I knew one field mechanic that said his wife yelled at him for rebuilding a CAT injection pump on the kitchen table though! LOL.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not me, lol, I just grabbed those pictures off the web.. wouldn't be the first engine built on a kitchen table, or in the living room for that matter!

I knew one field mechanic that said his wife yelled at him for rebuilding a CAT injection pump on the kitchen table though! LOL.

I'm not sure if that is a good idea, might get some bread crumbs in the pump! Heaven forbid if she was to be making brownies and got some walnut shells in there!

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
The thing that comes to mind using stainless is it moves with heat five times more than steel. You need to design it so its free to expand and contract without breaking itself apart

lantraxco

Well, there's always been plenty of fertilizer coming out of Detroit, but I doubt you could plow well with that motor! :tong

Volvomad

That relative expansion rate is food for thought . Any I have to leave it to do a head gasket on a JD 6910 tractor and a bit of 4 inch bsp pipe fabrication .