• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MAJOR Peterbilt suspension problems!

Reece38

i got a 1994 Pete 378. with a setback front axle. minus the pins and bushing on the front wore out and having a lot of play (which is next on the list to fix) the truck has a Pete quadraflex leafspring rear suspension. My driver was hauling with it the other day and a loud pop and it had broke the equalizer bar (connects the two leaf springs together) completely into on the driver side. i have not like this suspension since i have owned this truck, it seems to be very light duty for a dump truck). well with multiple problems going on in the rear including leaf spring hangers that keep breaking. i just called a Pete salesman to come look at it and give a list of parts to completely replace all the hangers and equalizers in the middle. first off he said he had never even heard of this type of suspension. well a day later he gets back with me on a price. he said it would be over 7k for the parts but peterbilt couldn't even get them. so he said just cut all that suspension off and go buy a used hendrickson or chalmers at a salvage yard. so i am looking into that right now. problem is im not sure what is my best choice to get and how this is going to work. im not necessarily looking for the cheapest fix but i want it fixed right and problem free for the rest of its life! and also time is a issue. its been down about a week and well its not making money sitting down broke but the monthly payment keeps a coming.

a couple pieces of info on my truck.
- its got Rockwell axles under it with 4.33 gears. - a lower gear would be nice.( it dont have much lowend power trying to take off in soft dirt.
-Eaton road ranger 8 speed (not a LL) but im not sure of the actual number on the trans right now. (so im not sure if it a direct drive or over drive trans.
-its a tri axle dump truck- not real sure of the trucks origin. looks to have been converted from something. but not real sure if it was used as a road tractor.

it does have full locking rears- which is a must for our work.

Last edited:

nowing75

Where are you at in Indiana? Russ Fishor might have a Syspension that would work. Sometimes converted trucks lack the right syspension.

Reece38

on the ohio state line. south of richmond indiana. 1.5 hours from indy.
although i just cant convince myself that its truly a converted truck with the factory all leaf (no air-ride) suspension. and coming factory with full locking rears.
the truck does have 40K rears but if i do a swap i was hoping to do a 46K

td25c

Is this what it looks like Reece38 ?
http://bwp-nsi.com/parts.asp?Submit=App&AppID=489

They show the equalizer with bushing , don't see cost or availability but might give those guy's a shout if it would help get you back on the road quicker .

Also interesting is you Type in E-7869 in the search box and the equalizer pops up . That's a Euclid part number .
http://bwp-nsi.com/parts.asp

Agree with nowing75 , try Russ Fisher . Adelmans also carries a lot of rear " cut off's "
http://www.adelmans.com/

If it was mine and happy with the rest of the truck I would not hesitate dropping a Hendrickson walking beam suspension under it when time and money allowed .

Reece38

that parts diagram is very similar, mine has around 8 leafs with slightly different outer hangers (which have craked and been welded but keep cracking)

actually i just had a guy from PowerTrain HD come down and look at it tonight. he brought along with him an EUCLID book that had exactly the parts i need. with the correct diagram in it. he is going to see if he can get the equalizer assembly in the morning. (although im sure these are pretty exspensive, just replacing these two would get me back on the road.)
i would say if these two parts venture to be over a couple grand i will prolly opt to just go ahead and get the walking beam set up done. however i am still trying to find a walking beam with rockwell housing (for full lockers) somewhat close by. hope to have a plan together by tomorrow.

Russ fisher said they have nothing. which is what i am getting from alot of these salvage yards. i will definitely try this adelmans first thing in the morning.

Reece38

from my little knowledge, what is happening is the actual top leaf is rubbing the equalizer causing it to wear into and snap. this is the driver side rear. the passenger side is about to snap also. what is causing the to do this is unknown, im guessing the big bushing in the center of the equalizer is wore out and not equalizing any more? causing the axles not to sit parallel. thats my thoughts

td25c

I'm guessing Adelmans will have something . No idea on what it will cost . Old Hendrickson setup is your best way to go for the dump truck . Before I bought a Kenworth W- 900 with 8 bag air ride I didn't know there was any other suspension . LOL :D Still have Hendrickson's on other trucks & vehicles and love it for off road .:thumbsup

I haven't ever been there in person . My neighbor made the trip up to Adelmans after skidder parts for his Timberjack . He was impressed with the inventory .

Now this is just me.......... Not suggesting anyone else do it . If the proper Peterbilt equalizer was no longer available and could not find one , or they wanted some crazy price for it ................

I would get measurements off the Pete equalizer & look around at other brands . Be pretty handy if this Reyco would fit in place .
http://www.truckspring.com/products/Reyco-Leaf-Spring-Equalizer__T5427.aspx

td25c

from my little knowledge, what is happening is the actual top leaf is rubbing the equalizer causing it to wear into and snap. this is the driver side rear. the passenger side is about to snap also. what is causing the to do this is unknown, im guessing the big bushing in the center of the equalizer is wore out and not equalizing any more? causing the axles not to sit parallel. thats my thoughts

It could be doing just that .

It is frustrating for sure .............. I mean ........ In this day and age , that part should never break even if the bushing is wore slam sloppin out ! :professor

Then they want to charge a lot of cash for a replacement part that will have the same fate .

Reece38

well..... after a few days and more headaches, we decided to pull the truck in the barn and start on the front end(new pins and bushings for the leafs and shackles). because they were so wore out it literally took us more time to get it backed in the barn than to get the leaf springs out. So after all these places telling me they didn't have anything i decided to run up to my local truck salvage yard. (trucks and parts in new paris ohio) i asked to go out back and see what they had. well turns out they had over 20 walking beam cut offs several camel backs and a few Chalmers. i ended breaking down and buying a nice Chalmers 46K cut off with Eaton housing and differentials and lockers for $3500. it has had all new bushing put in recently. the only thing it really might need is the new big rubber cushions in the middle of the beam. i know they are pricey but it may be worth replacing before i put it under the truck. so i definitely have a pretty big project underway. (alot of late night and im sure lots of cussing) i will try to take a few pics for the guys who may need the visual.

JDOFMEMI

Sounds like you did the right thing. Did you get a better gear ratio as well?