• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Major Grading Contractors - East of the Mississippi

fensoncont.

Hey guys,

I am trying to put together a list of the largest grading contractors east of the Mississippi. I would like to include companies with major earthmoving fleets with major capabilities and who tackle the largest earthwork projects in the region. I am interested to hear what many of you have to say. Please add some companies to my list or comment on the companies I have listed and share information as to who you believe the top dogs are. I would like you to include companies who tackle everything from highways and dams to major coal mine and quarry overburden stripping. Please share some equipment, and numbers such as project value(s) and yearly yardage or project yardage. I understand there can be some debate on who fits this list, but I think it will make for a nice discussion. I would like to narrow my list down to the top 5-10 in this given region. I also posted this on DHS to get some more responses for the people who aren't on both forums.

I know I said east of the Mississippi as a general guideline, but I can't help myself but to include McAninch in this list for now!!

McAninch Corp - IA
Ryan Central Inc - WI
T.J. Lambrecht Construction - IL
Walsh Construction - IL I wasn't real sure on their earthwork fleet, I know structures is their forte?
Crider & Crider Contractors - IN
E.S. Wagner Company - OH
Beaver Excavating Company - OH
Kokosing Construction Company - OH
Independence Excavating Inc - OH
Bizzack LLC - KY
Elmo Greer & Sons LLC - KY
Kay & Kay Contracting LLC - KY
J.F. Allen Company - WV
Kanawha Stone Company - WV
Vecellio & Grogan Inc - WV
Heeter Construction - WV
Trumbull Corp - PA
Mashuda Corp - PA
Cast & Baker Corp - PA
New Enterprise Stone & Lime - PA
The H & K Group - PA
Wright Bros. Constrution - TN
Blacklock & Sons Construction - TN
Phillips & Jordan - TN
The Lane Construction Corp - CT
English Construction - VA

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
bell,il
lake county grading,il
lindahl bros,il

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Ames-Mn They are in MN but they come over to WI sometimes.

Mashuda-WI

Hoffman-WI They are not as big as they once were.

H. James-WI Not all that big, but they do some bigger jobs.

tdozer

James D. Morrissey- Eastern PA.
R.E Pierson- NJ
Sambol-NJ.
George Harms used to be one of the larger NJ contractors but i dont know how big they are now.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I would add
Vollers Excavating, NJ approx 25 Cat 637Ds
Haines and Kibblehouse, Pennsylvania

D155

Occupation
Rental Agent
TAW from Alma, Arkansas but working in the Marcellus in NE PA. They own approximately 235 D6Ts and 90 D8Ts.

Lee-online

Walsh is a very big company. They have done a lot of big road and bridge jobs and are the general contractor at the PPL holtwood dam expansion project. The dam is a 435 million dollar project.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

JDMGrading

McWhirter Grading, NC They built most of I-485 around charlotte.

Blythe Construction, NC

Crowder Construction, NC

D.H. Griffin Grading & Crushing, NC

Wayne Brothers Construction, NC

Lanier Grading, NC

Hoopaugh Grading, NC

Some are'nt the biggest in the country but they've earned it.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Granite are huge. Coast to Coast.

Old Castle Own a number of the afforementioned companies as well.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Ames-Mn They are in MN but they come over to WI sometimes.

Mashuda-WI

Hoffman-WI They are not as big as they once were.

H. James-WI Not all that big, but they do some bigger jobs.

All three good contractors, and like you said James is not all that big but most likely one of the best rock movers in the region. They did do the largest rock cut in the state(hwy 151 rock cuts between Dickeyville and Platteville were two of the largest).

trbo

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
All three good contractors, and like you said James is not all that big but most likely one of the best rock movers in the region. They did do the largest rock cut in the state(hwy 151 rock cuts between Dickeyville and Platteville were two of the largest).

trbo

James is good company, but Mashuda is the best rock mover in this state. James did the biggest rock cuts on 151 but Mashuda moved way more rock over all on the 151 projects. I heard we built more 90% of 151 from Fond du lac to the Iowa state line. Some parts they built twice.

Mashuda is set up a lot better for rock. They have the only rigid frame trucks(773's), the only 992, their own rock drills, double panned scrapers, biggest fleet of 740's and 385's.

It is good to see you back posting TRBO. How has the work been going down in the part of the state?

Acivil

CW Matthews GA
Shaw Group not sure what state (IT Corporation)
Joe D Stephens GA does some massive pipe projects (100 mil +)
Ajax paving has some pretty big jobs in FL right now, but Im not sure where they are from.

Raildudes dad

Ajax Paving Industries home office is in Troy MI. Those folks know how to pave. I had one project with them 1.75 miles of 5 / 6 lane concrete. Just stand back and watch them "fly". 20-25 people on the paving crew. No yelling, hollering, hardly any talking. Everyone knows what they have to do and when. They worked from a portable batch plant and every morning after a pour they had all the paperwork, certs, etc in a file folder for us all organized and in order. Didn't have to request anything for our files. Did not have to grind 1 square foot for ride quality. They're a 1st class outfit:thumbsup