• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Maintenance intervals on low use machines?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
My Ford pickup MAY get 2-4k a year on it anymore, so regardless is changed annually.
Do the same for just about every thing. I'm a bit lazy in regards the Rav4 I use the few times wife isn't around to do taxi duty, so when it comes up for the annual NYState inspection I tell the guy at the shop to do the oil change while it's there. He has told me I need to drive it more as he has had to due brake work on it a couple times due to rusty rotors and calipers. It's a 2011 with a bit over 32,000 miles on it!

emmett518

Here’s a price comparison for y’all. I ordered 2 Baldwin fuel filters from my local dealer, but they were back ordered. They were $13ish a piece. I was in a pinch and had no choice and went to Napa. The same filter, although their NAPA (wix) brand was $38. Talk about price gouging.

I once saw a YouTube video where a mechanic opened oil filters from the leading brands. Purolator, Fram, STP, Wix and Napa.

STP and Fram were garbage. Purolator better.
The best?

Wix, and at the top? Napa.
I would easily pay double the price for a NAPA filter. You could actually see the difference.

cosmaar1

I once saw a YouTube video where a mechanic opened oil filters from the leading brands. Purolator, Fram, STP, Wix and Napa.

STP and Fram were garbage. Purolator better.
The best?

Wix, and at the top? Napa.
I would easily pay double the price for a NAPA filter. You could actually see the difference.

Hmmm, i always thought the Napa and wix filters were the same..

they are the exact same filter. It’s a wix number on the Napa site.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Advanced Filtration Systems Inc, Donaldson and the Wix group all make a premium domestic filter.

AFSI is probably the best, IMO. I got to tour the plant. They make the filters for Caterpillar.

You have to watch which Wix/NAPA filter you purchase. They are made for different price points so they can compete. Get the Platinum.

Coaldust

Occupation
Tokyo Roki, well, pretty much all the Japanese filter manufacturers make premium products.

Fram/Honeywell is sketchy, AF.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Coaldust,
Thanks for the info!
Didn't know that Hastings was bought out by Baldwin, but that would make sense as to the fact that where I used to see Hastings, I generally see Baldwin now.

Did know that Wix and Napa were one in the same tho.

Good info!

Coaldust

Occupation
You are welcome.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use Baldwin or Hastings. I get way better pricing from NAPA. When I worked for my previous employer, they sold huge amounts of Baldwin in Dutch Harbor off the fuel dock and a fair amount in Sitka. Baldwin is very popular in the marine biz.

In Anchorage, we supplied a super-sketchy Chinese, dirt cheap brand of filter with a big profit margin to the quick change oil change franchises. Embarrassing, how bad that filter line was/is. But, that’s what the price-point required and what the franchises want.

Note to self: never go to a chain store type oil change place.

Tenwheeler

Advanced Filtration Systems Inc, Donaldson and the Wix group all make a premium domestic filter.

AFSI is probably the best, IMO. I got to tour the plant. They make the filters for Caterpillar.

You have to watch which Wix/NAPA filter you purchase. They are made for different price points so they can compete. Get the Platinum.
I have been told different folks have made Cat filters over the years. Regardless of who makes them I have never seen other labeled filters with the heavy bases on Cat branded filters. Maybe they are a little different on the inside as well?

Tenwheeler

My poor livery of machines are low use anymore, still get Annual Oil Changes as Oil is Cheap and major overhauls/rust up damage expensive. My Ford pickup MAY get 2-4k a year on it anymore, so regardless is changed annually.
When these fire up they run hard for weeks at a time. Any condensation is soon gone. Then they are parked again. I would feel different if they ran just a little bit once a week.
Love the car dealers pushing low time interval oil changes.
Ask them this: Well I was just walking around the lot and kind of liked that ABC XYZ truck. It is new but 14 months old. How many times have you changed the oil in that?

Coaldust

Occupation
For sure, Tenwheeler. Cat, at any time, has a few different manufacturers making filters. Especially, low volume part numbers. CLARCOR Corp is one.