• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mahogany?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well the county did deck the whole thing with Mahogany...
It's hard as a rock, and the excavator doesn't grip it whatsoever- to the point of being dangerously "slick"
Soooooo now we've covered it with old screen belting.

One of the reasons quit using White Oak, hard as rock, swamp oak is similar to Cottonwood but never dries out has similar grip-ability soft faced.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I used southern pine on my trailer. I got 12 years out of the first batch. I busted it up finally from hauling long knotty firewood logs on it. It was not rotted yet. I replaced it with the same although I will say the new does not look as knot free as the old even though it is select structural grade. Fairly reasonable. $580.00 delivered to my local lumber yard for 20 each 2" x 10" by 18 ft. and 10 each 2" x 10" X 12 ft. Got almost a year on the new. We will see.

Shimmy1

Cottonwood. All I can say is WTF? Over the last 5 years I've tipped over and burned over 100 of them, and this fall I had 5 that were probably 4' in diameter, and 60' tall. I know you could have cut 20' planks out of them. Only problem is I don't believe there is a sawmill within 300 miles of us.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
What can I say, does work well Shimmy1. We have six sawmills around us, only one will cut cottonwood and then at their discretion or timing.

Jonas302

I thought the same about cottonwood but the mill here loves it says its one of the better woods to make pallets out of works quite well for sideboards doesnt get hard and crack like oak and has quite a bit of spring in it from all the mixed up grains Elm would be perfered but its hard to find a good one here anymore
Usually use white oak for beds but i can see cottonwood working there also I only put drain oil on one bed and have forever regretted that slippery mess

brianbulldozer

Any thoughts about using Mahogany for decking on a 60 ton tilt deck trailer??
Thanks!

Apitong is tough to beat if you are going to keep the the trailer for a long time. I have redecked a couple of trailers with it and it lasts. How many axles are under a 60 ton tilt deck trailer?

Labparamour

There’s a small mill about 15 miles from me.
Couple years ago I was taking cottonwood logs from my place there.
They were paying better for that than fir logs!
Saved me having to burn or pay to dump.
I think they cut some for dunnage and pallets.
Hadn’t thought about decking.

Darryl