• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Made to order parts.

Vetech63

Is anyone else experiencing this? Or am I just drawing the lottery tickets on older machinery? The drive planetary in my little Neil paver is completely wrecked and not repairable...…….yet it is obsolete. Its an Auburn Gear Powerwheel Pt. #6000858 (new revised drive is a #60002754). I called them yesterday to get a price and availability...………..12-14 weeks MADE TO ORDER.
Now, since there has more than likely been tens of thousands of these sold over the years, wouldn't you think that having at least 1-2 on hand shouldn't be an issue? Makes no sense to me at all. This is the 3rd time this year I have run into this MADE TO ORDER thing going on.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All are getting this way, checked around for a local trying buy parts for an old crawler(Deere) turns out the Updated revision is also out of production until enough demand to make a inventory as they will no longer stock an inventory, 'Just In Time' parts acquisition. Will put a great deal of small business OUT of Business.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Same thing with some parts on my forestry mulcher.Berco tracks 16 weeks to make 12 weeks shipping. Nabtesco planetary gears 12 weeks x Japan by air freight, Eaton pump no longer made. The machine was purchased new '07. I found a local outfit who will make new gears in 2 weeks to a better quality. All the other parts can be supplied by other companies in about 7 days so in the end who are the losers

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
They don't want you to repair . They want to force you to obsolete the equipment and therefore have to buy new equipment. This is where companies like LKQ and Midwest industrial sales are going to step in and make a killing by filling a niche market for older parts for older machines

DIYDAVE

Age old problem, with older equipment is that they all mostly break at the same place! Go to a junkyard, and chances are all the donor machines will have the part you want either broken or missing...

Its a conspiracy I tells ya...;)

56wrench

vetech63-can you post a picture of that critter. maybe there is a powerwheel similar to it in the ag industry

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Good opportunity for 3D printing to come to the front of the part supply market. Obtain original drawings, program into the central data base, down load all the parameters into the box and hit print. A short time later you have your part with no stocking charge, no waste material, no shipping charges, no sales tax and no middle man brokers injecting multiple markups on the price.

check

Now, since there has more than likely been tens of thousands of these sold over the years, wouldn't you think that having at least 1-2 on hand shouldn't be an issue? Makes no sense to me at all.
It makes perfect sense. People get tired of down time and high cost of repairs so they buy new equipment. The manufacturer who sells the parts also sells new machines.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Good opportunity for 3D printing to come to the front of the part supply market. Obtain original drawings, program into the central data base, down load all the parameters into the box and hit print. A short time later you have your part with no stocking charge, no waste material, no shipping charges, no sales tax and no middle man brokers injecting multiple markups on the price.

You beat me too it John!:D

3D printing is where it's going.

Almost 3 years ago they had a 3D printing display set up at Conex in the front parking lot. It was rudimentary but the technology is evolving daily. It's fascinating technology in how it will change many, many industries.

3D printing is going to turn the warehousing and supply chain/trucking industry on it's head. Probably in my working lifetime (I'm in my 40's) I will be able to call a dealer, order a part and have it printed onsite within a couple of hours...

Now the tricky part is to find that technology company that will be the forefront of pushing this to market and invest in them so my "retirement home with an infinity edge pool" idea comes to fruition.:p:D

DIYDAVE

Sorry, can't help but post this...

I'm sure something will come up, to ruin this fantasy, but I won't say from whence it will come...;)