• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mad Kiwi using crane to mow the hedge

Hendrik

There are big mowers that hang from helicopters. I don't see anyone making any complaints about that. A heli with a big mower chopping trees to death has to be more dangerous than a mower hanging from a truck crane.

As for the hedge trimmer, the article plainly says it was a stunt.

BTW the O in OSHA is for occupation. If it isn't your occupation and you are not being paid then OSHA doesn't have jurisdiction.

Original post edited

Stunt or not is stupid and dangerous and gives those who have to work in these sort of industries a bad name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Rowlands

Take off the drivers seat, put a cage around the crane operator and you have the next great product for mowing hard to reach hillsides. If you can suspend a mower from a helicopter or from the end of an excavator, why not a crane?

You ought to do a little more research before making any accusations as to my knowledge level.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
slope mover radio controlled

Saw one of these working on a motor way embankment last autumn Class bit of kit and safer than a mower suspended from a crane. According to the manufacturer they can handle slopes upto 70 deg. :avid:avid:avid:avid:avid:avid:avid

Hendrik

OK I'll apologize to Rick for my strongly worded outburst but the fact remains that it is a stupid and unnecessary thing to do.
It makes 'professional' crane operators look like they are willing to do dangerous things and if something did go wrong OHSA would be the ones to investigate because any accident involving cranes is investigated by them.
Whether the accident occurred at a work site or in someones private yard does not matter.
Further this forum supports safe work practices and I do not think this 'stunt' comes anywhere near safe.
I posted the link as an example of the stupidity that some people are willing to go to in order to have their 5 minutes of fame, the fact that the fool admitted to it being a stunt makes it even worse, insofar that it was not a necessary operation where only this method could get the job done.
Comparing this to professional heli loggers is an insult to the brave people who do this type of thing to feed their families.

prfire20

Occupation
construction
they would be better of with a case of beer and a case of bird shot, drink beer and shoot weeds , the lawn mower on a bike is pretty slick though if i would have known about that when i was 8 i could have picked up a couple more yards around my neighborhood

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Man the things I would do if I owned a crane.

Hendrik

And in so doing took his 5 minutes worldwide :D
Yeah I think the cat was out of the bag before I came along, then again perhaps HEF has a bigger reading audience than the daily mail, spose if it was the sun it would require a scantily clad lady on top of the lawn mover to make the rag.

Linkbelt HC

Occupation
Instructing Mobile Crane Apprentices
Lawnmower stunt

Well, stunting or not, it's probably not something any safety minded crane operator would want to be involved with. What are the chances that the electrical wires have been disconnected?:eek: