1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by trakloader, Apr 13, 2010.

1. HDX

HDX Senior Member

IMG_0706.jpg With the right operator on these babies, They could get the old Murphy's to lift anything

2. HDX

HDX Senior Member

IMG_0538.jpg IMG_0539.jpg These were in the Shawnigan Shop yard together. The H271 would sometime later be sent up to Juskatla Division in the QC Islands. She had a rebuild there and when they were converting over to the Highway Trucks, She became surplus. At Franklin we needed more trucks due to the long haul from Carmannah all the way to China Creek. She would be sent down to Franklin along with the H44 and H147 and H149 and a couple log loaders all on the same barge. H147 would be destroyed in an accident and H44 and H271 would end up in the Lamar stable along with a number of our other trucks when Weyco sold us off. H149 would be bought by Hayes Forest and they eventually sold her off to somebody in 2006 Have not been able to track her down ever since

3. diamondtguy

diamondtguy Senior Member

machine fitter/fabricator
    HDX....in the early 80's we had a fairly new Mac Blo P-16 returned to us for a minor rebuild.Truck had a cab fire and some residual damage.We put a new cab on her and fixed her up like new...I certainly remember the smell....Does this ring any bells with you ???

4. HD Mech

HD Mech Well-Known Member

Heavy duty mechanic
  5. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Yes H22 from Eve River Division I think!!!

6. Hayesno1

Hayesno1 Senior Member

Project manager
    Great pictures Steve. Thank you for sharing them with us and lot of interesting information/history. Good to see H88 is back on track. Last time - Summer 2012 - when I saw her she seemed to be parked for good and used for spare parts. And she is still a preloader as H17. Not many left. Is H321 still going strong?

7. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Hayesno1 Good to hear from you, Yes H88 had an engine installed and a 18 speed trans and did go back to work for a while. They bought an old Hayes preload trailer with 14 foot bunks from IPL to use behind her. She is back parked over there at the place you saw her last again now.. I am thinking that is because there is no wood for her to haul with the contractor he was using her with. They are using highway trucks now... As for H321 Well last I heard she was still hauling . They use her at different places. owner is Dorman Timber now

Born2clearcut likes this.
  8. HDX

HDX Senior Member

IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0123.JPG Drove up to Menzies Bay Division one day when we were shut down. Was a rain day for us. Good bunch of guys, Really liked their CL350 Macks.. Later a couple of these trucks would have a Challanger Cab installed to replace the aging ones they had.. Would give them a somewhat new life. Some of the others would end up having a P16 Cab installed on them. A couple of these trucks would have V12 Rolls Royce engines installed to replace the old V12 GM. I never really found out what the results of that upgrade resulted in... Copper Canyon division had one of these model trucks, Robbie Robson drove it. It would in time be sent up to join the Menzies Fleet because then ,they were all in one basket so to speak. After the weyco garage sale most of these trucks were scattered all over. Some as you have seen on here were parted out and some are still out there hauling.

9. HDX

HDX Senior Member

IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0127.JPG The H437 in front and I just cant remember what the number of the rear truck was.. I will go through some pictures and see if I have another picture of her. The distinct front bumper markings tend to identify them. I wish I could have kept a closer eye on these trucks as they neared the end at Menzies Bay because they were very different and served their masters well. They like every other off highway truck had their followers and a mutual admiration society.

TorkelH, 72hayes and dirty4fun like this.
  10. HDX

HDX Senior Member

IMG_0125.JPG If you look close you can see where every Division of M&B had their own favorite tires. It was all about what worked best for their application

TorkelH and 72hayes like this.
  11. HDX

HDX Senior Member

IMG_0039.JPG Donny Watt got this Challanger new and he LOVED IT!!! He did not like the yellow paint job however.. Hard to get away from the good old Red & White

12. HDX

HDX Senior Member

IMG_0044.JPG He finally got her painted... As for what color look's better, Well you decide.

13. DBDLS

DBDLS Well-Known Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    Red and White, without a doubt.

Camshawn likes this.
  14. DBDLS

DBDLS Well-Known Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    Always heard good things about the Mack trucks from those had the chance to drive them.

15. HDX

HDX Senior Member

IMG_0134.JPG I dont know if this was the truck or not Diamondtguy. This one might have been fixed at the Eve River Division Shop. There was however another P16 that had a bad cab fire and that was a Cameron Division PreLoad H123 I think ... Will have to check and get back to you on that though. we had gone out that night and Vicki had her 35 MM camera Snapped a bunch of pics and when we got home THERE WAS NO FILM IN IT!!!! Win Some Lose Some.

72hayes and dirty4fun like this.
  16. HDX

HDX Senior Member

IMG_0722.jpg This was one of our old 1968 WHDX's. She was an original Clark Trans truck. With all the new drivers learning to drive at this time, She still had that tranny in her ONLY long enough for one of them to almost melt the converter. The shop took her in and did a mini rebuild on her, removed the Clark and installed an Allison. Then re-numbered her from H282 to H23. She would be sold to a contractor up in the Courtenay area and never saw or heard about her again

72hayes and dirty4fun like this.
  17. diamondtguy

HDX....I can remember being up on the back of the truck with the cab off doing something.....I don't remember it being a preloader tho...The pic of H22 looks about right....It was 35 years ago so I may be wrong...

18. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Wish there was a way to edit these posts!!! After time runs out. Do you guys know if it can be done??

19. diamondtguy

I have had no luck trying to edit my post once I leave...My edits are usually for grammar/spelling so I just end up leaving them....

20. Hayesno1

Hayesno1 Senior Member

Project manager
    Thank you for updates on H88 and H321. Sadly to see so many Hayes HDX are for sale and they will properly end up in The scrap yard. I think Forshner is selling his trucks as well...