1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by trakloader, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Blk prince

Blk prince Senior Member

Truck driver semi retired
    H-28 H-31 from Copper Canyon. Murray Davidson got 31 new

2. BrentFr

BrentFr Member

IMG_0104.JPG

075, Tugger2, HD Mech and 1 other person like this.
  3. BrentFr

BrentFr Member

Here is a picture of H94 I received from a co-worker who was working at Suncor in Ft Mac two years ago. I believe some of you out there know the guy that rebuilt it in Nanaimo, Hugh Frechette rebuilt that truck twice, once when it got wrecked and then the later rebuild when it got the new cab and square headlights.

4. diamondtguy

diamondtguy Senior Member

machine fitter/fabricator
    Good picture of her in her new life....

5. tamrock88

tamrock88 Member

Does any one know what Happened to H-264...macneil. Work with a fellow who drove it during the 70's .

6. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Blkprince That was a Bob Hoar picture taken at Cameron /division It would have been heading back to the bush from China Creek DLS Bob use to sit along side the mainline between Museum and Corrigan ML to take pictures as they went by both loaded and empty H154 came over from Sproat lake division when they went more to Highway trucks and Franklin was still hauling on the long haul Carmannah This would have been under the weyco flag. It was common for people to peel the weyco decals off. Some trucks never had them put on!!!! We both know of one for sure. This truck was later sold by Hayes Forest There was a picture of her at the R/B auction all painted up in yellow But that was done after she was sold by HFS. H154 came from the factory with the BCFP style rear fenders. These were not common

7. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

MacMillan Bloedel trucks at M&G Higgins lumber, Bemont, Nova Scotia. Guessing early-mid 90's. Pictures courtesy of Mike Higgins.
    IMG_20170205_185011.png Macblo belmont ns.jpg

8. saf t dan

saf t dan Member

HDX- am impressed with H-94 picture + box. You could handle that unit ! ! saf-t-dan

9. HDX

HDX Senior Member

saf t dan Holy Cow Now that is a load!!! Although seeing her, kind of like seeing an old friend you have not seen for a long time. She looks well looked after, and I know she will serve them well for a long time to come. Those three trucks were WELL Different sums it up. As you probably know they came with air throttle's. I am interested to know if old H94 still has one or did it get converted ?

10. diamondtguy

I could be wrong but it looks like a air valve sitting up top on the new engine.You can see the pot and the actuator arm..I should remember all this stuff....Its only been 35 years.. IMG_2228.JPG

ap40rocktruck, 075 and HD Mech like this.
  11. HDX

HDX Senior Member

You are right Cory It is still air throttle. Maybe it is a Finning thing whereas they have to use it. I know when the three came new we were told it was to ensure that some driver did not jump into a COLD engine and just floor the throttle to build up air. Makes sense though. God I love those engines

12. diamondtguy

I read some where that it was a Finning (warranty) thing for the exact reasons you said.Not a Pacific or M/B request.Its also sad that they had to detune her so much to match the Allison torque curve.....Hard to believe it has never been converted back to mechanical...
    And yes.....a lovely pc of iron she is.....

13. callingtheshop

callingtheshop Well-Known Member

June 14, 2018 006.JPG Another working girl discovered in Montana.

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

So I have a question for all you big truck buffs. I ran across a Facebook posting about a log trucks compensator broke and the dolly drove itself over the bank on a switch back pulling the truck with it. They were saying that if it didn’t have a turntable bunk and had a live bunk that the truck would have separated from the load and been fine. Do the big trucks of BC with their turntables have the live bunk feature where the bunk will separate if the load goes?

15. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Back in my camp welding days any I had worked on, the bunk sat on what we called the cup & saucer with a split collar holding them on to a pin like an inverted king pin.

16. Betelgeuse

Would this inverted kingpin give way if the load was going over and let the bunk detach from the turntable?

17. wornout wrench

wornout wrench Senior Member

There are 2 types of pin, the split collar like Tugger talked about and the "T" style.
    With the T style, you turned the bunk so that it was facing front to back and you were able to lift the bunk off of the truck. There was a corresponding slot cut in the bunk for the T to fit into. Most of the highway trucks that I have worked on all had the same style of bunk.

As far as your question about the fat trucks, the bunks will not come off of the truck. The truck will keep the bunk on if it goes on its side.

The thing about the Fat trucks is, they are so tuff that quit often all you need to do is put them back on their feet, maybe a new mirror and some minor damage, check fluids and such and away you go again.

I was trying to find a picture that I could put a link to, but ran out of time.

18. Betelgeuse

That’s kinda what I figured but I have been hearing about the live bunk on the West Coast Log Truckers Facebook page and wondered if the fat trucks were similar. It’s crazy what the fat trucks can go through and survive.
    I would love to do a road trip around Vancouver island with the family but I let my passport expire and the wife and kids don’t have them either☹️

Thanks for the response to my inquiry everyone

19. donkey doctor

donkey doctor Senior Member

retired
    Don't think Americans need a passport to get into Canada. Getting back home is another matter I believe. You could have to stay here. d.d.

20. Betelgeuse

That is true. Don’t want to take that risk with the fam though