• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

BrentFr

BrentFr

Here is a picture of H94 I received from a co-worker who was working at Suncor in Ft Mac two years ago. I believe some of you out there know the guy that rebuilt it in Nanaimo, Hugh Frechette rebuilt that truck twice, once when it got wrecked and then the later rebuild when it got the new cab and square headlights.

HDX

Blkprince That was a Bob Hoar picture taken at Cameron /division It would have been heading back to the bush from China Creek DLS Bob use to sit along side the mainline between Museum and Corrigan ML to take pictures as they went by both loaded and empty H154 came over from Sproat lake division when they went more to Highway trucks and Franklin was still hauling on the long haul Carmannah This would have been under the weyco flag. It was common for people to peel the weyco decals off. Some trucks never had them put on!!!! We both know of one for sure. This truck was later sold by Hayes Forest There was a picture of her at the R/B auction all painted up in yellow But that was done after she was sold by HFS. H154 came from the factory with the BCFP style rear fenders. These were not common

saf t dan

Blkprince That was a Bob Hoar picture taken at Cameron /division It would have been heading back to the bush from China Creek DLS Bob use to sit along side the mainline between Museum and Corrigan ML to take pictures as they went by both loaded and empty H154 came over from Sproat lake division when they went more to Highway trucks and Franklin was still hauling on the long haul Carmannah This would have been under the weyco flag. It was common for people to peel the weyco decals off. Some trucks never had them put on!!!! We both know of one for sure. This truck was later sold by Hayes Forest There was a picture of her at the R/B auction all painted up in yellow But that was done after she was sold by HFS. H154 came from the factory with the BCFP style rear fenders. These were not common
HDX- am impressed with H-94 picture + box. You could handle that unit ! ! saf-t-dan

HDX

saf t dan Holy Cow Now that is a load!!! Although seeing her, kind of like seeing an old friend you have not seen for a long time. She looks well looked after, and I know she will serve them well for a long time to come. Those three trucks were WELL Different sums it up. As you probably know they came with air throttle's. I am interested to know if old H94 still has one or did it get converted ?

HDX

You are right Cory It is still air throttle. Maybe it is a Finning thing whereas they have to use it. I know when the three came new we were told it was to ensure that some driver did not jump into a COLD engine and just floor the throttle to build up air. Makes sense though. God I love those engines

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I read some where that it was a Finning (warranty) thing for the exact reasons you said.Not a Pacific or M/B request.Its also sad that they had to detune her so much to match the Allison torque curve.....Hard to believe it has never been converted back to mechanical...
And yes.....a lovely pc of iron she is.....

Betelgeuse

So I have a question for all you big truck buffs. I ran across a Facebook posting about a log trucks compensator broke and the dolly drove itself over the bank on a switch back pulling the truck with it. They were saying that if it didn’t have a turntable bunk and had a live bunk that the truck would have separated from the load and been fine. Do the big trucks of BC with their turntables have the live bunk feature where the bunk will separate if the load goes?

Tugger2

Back in my camp welding days any I had worked on, the bunk sat on what we called the cup & saucer with a split collar holding them on to a pin like an inverted king pin.

Betelgeuse

Back in my camp welding days any I had worked on, the bunk sat on what we called the cup & saucer with a split collar holding them on to a pin like an inverted king pin.

Would this inverted kingpin give way if the load was going over and let the bunk detach from the turntable?

wornout wrench

So I have a question for all you big truck buffs. I ran across a Facebook posting about a log trucks compensator broke and the dolly drove itself over the bank on a switch back pulling the truck with it. They were saying that if it didn’t have a turntable bunk and had a live bunk that the truck would have separated from the load and been fine. Do the big trucks of BC with their turntables have the live bunk feature where the bunk will separate if the load goes?

There are 2 types of pin, the split collar like Tugger talked about and the "T" style.
With the T style, you turned the bunk so that it was facing front to back and you were able to lift the bunk off of the truck. There was a corresponding slot cut in the bunk for the T to fit into. Most of the highway trucks that I have worked on all had the same style of bunk.

As far as your question about the fat trucks, the bunks will not come off of the truck. The truck will keep the bunk on if it goes on its side.

The thing about the Fat trucks is, they are so tuff that quit often all you need to do is put them back on their feet, maybe a new mirror and some minor damage, check fluids and such and away you go again.

I was trying to find a picture that I could put a link to, but ran out of time.

Betelgeuse

There are 2 types of pin, the split collar like Tugger talked about and the "T" style.
With the T style, you turned the bunk so that it was facing front to back and you were able to lift the bunk off of the truck. There was a corresponding slot cut in the bunk for the T to fit into. Most of the highway trucks that I have worked on all had the same style of bunk.

As far as your question about the fat trucks, the bunks will not come off of the truck. The truck will keep the bunk on if it goes on its side.

The thing about the Fat trucks is, they are so tuff that quit often all you need to do is put them back on their feet, maybe a new mirror and some minor damage, check fluids and such and away you go again.

I was trying to find a picture that I could put a link to, but ran out of time.

That’s kinda what I figured but I have been hearing about the live bunk on the West Coast Log Truckers Facebook page and wondered if the fat trucks were similar. It’s crazy what the fat trucks can go through and survive.
I would love to do a road trip around Vancouver island with the family but I let my passport expire and the wife and kids don’t have them either☹️

Thanks for the response to my inquiry everyone