• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

skadill

Hayes Loader Truck

Re-posted on request to find more about this truck from HDX

Attachments

• DSCN1027.jpg
    DSCN1027.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 1,334

HDX

Skadill Thanks Again Here it is The truck above was ex M&B Nanaimo River Division unit # H110 In 1955 MacMillan & Bloedel ordered 8 new trucks for the NR Camp All were HD 18-60s H88 H89 H90 H91 H92 H93 H94 H95 S/Ns were 5091625-5091632 all were powered by the C6NFL 6 cyl Rolls Royce engines and 4600 rear diffs 10:16-1 ratio 11:00x22 tires all were delivered between Oct 13 and Nov 15 1955, Then they purchased a near new HD Dumptruck from Charles Creek Logging in Nanaimo It was Cummins powered but same diffs and trans as their other trucks, her unit number became G24 May /56 they recieved a further 5 trucks all were HD 25-60s H105 H106 H107 H108 and H109 All with Supercharged Rolls Royce's and spec'd same as first bunch s/n's 6041723-6041727. Then in Aug of 1956 they got the last two trucks unit H110 delivered Aug 31/56 and H111 delivered Sept 6/56 also HD 25-60s Then sometime later there was a Kenworth truck destroyed in an accident there and they could only get their hands on a better used Clipper Conv from Tri West Transport in Edmonton with a Cummins in her so they bought her and turned her into a low-bed truck Unit # H54 As fate would have it I ended up buying this truck not knowing any of her history untill sometime later because no ID was on her so I tracked her down by engine serial number. The door number was one of the indications because it was F147 and that was a M&B Fire Tanker number. It sure is funny how these old girls keep turning up all over the coast

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Skadill and HDX; thanks for posting pics and information. I could not resist posting pics of old "Lipper" alias #F147....:D

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,185
  • IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,189
  • IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,189

HDX

Saw old H289 up behind Menzies Transport shop . Somebody must have bought her cause she has a new set of 14:00X25 Triangle Tires on her (10) Looks like she might be going to work somewhere. She looks pretty good and will do a good job for them for some time to come Good to see her saved

Easy Money

I consider the end of M&B to be when they hired that @#$% Stephens. Everything started going down the tubes, and what he did was set up M&B for the Wienerhoser takeover. I remember at that time, it seemed like junk was being barged in every month, at QCD. Meanwhile, some of our better equipment was being barged OUT. Some of the stuff that came here was overdue for the museum. (Y-12, Y-03, M-11, L-76) Even that awful Madill 084 showed up here. The Y-03, big 144 Madill, I don't think it was here for six months before they barged it out again. The picture shows Y-12, Y-34, 084, and Y-03. Y-30 went out on the previous barge.

Hi trakloader
I recognize the Madill 084 at the head of the lineup by its undercarriage (Sherman, I believe?). Was this the same 084 that returned to the Islands to work for Skidegate Forestry on Moresby Island? I heard that Madill only built five of these machines.

BTC

J-35,

This may be the original line horse that Kelsey Bay had when they started up the Skagit's. I will find out for sure but i'm pretty sure it is. Story behind first line horse was they had it on an old kenworth that was a spare truck. Truck drivers were all strong on fact only they should be driving it. Young rigging guys didn't like waiting for a driver so they started skinning it around. Caused a pretty good up roar. In the end the H-35 became J-35. Out of the hauling Dept into the Y+L Dept. There aren't many guys that drove her that didn't have a story of it barely making it up hills and being scared more than once driving it. Cockiness and inexperience. Amazing nobody had a serious accident in it. One time going up Victoria Main it went in the shrubs, truck drivers refused to yank it back on the road. LOL..... Wood was hitting the water, company looked the other way.

BTC

J-35

Took me a while but i found the picture. J-35 was H-35. Only problem is i can't figure out how to get the damn pictures onto here.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Hi trakloader
I recognize the Madill 084 at the head of the lineup by its undercarriage (Sherman, I believe?). Was this the same 084 that returned to the Islands to work for Skidegate Forestry on Moresby Island? I heard that Madill only built five of these machines.
I think most of the 084's ended up at Don Whitaker Logging in Roseburg, Oregon.

johnson

Don Whitaker has/had 3 084's and I thought only 3 were built.The problem with them was the tank undercarriage,it was realy heavy and that gave the yarder more stability but it was a real pain in the a*s to move,that's why Don Whitaker put his 084's on hydraulic tracks.

Ted Sr.

Occupation
Retired
We're you driving Ted?

Yes I was, I started working for M&B in 1969 hooking on a grapple yarder, started driving fat truck later in1969 till April 2001 when we merged with Kelsey Bay and Menzies bay to become North Island Timberlands. I continued driving through Weyerhaeuser, Cascadia and Westeren Forest Products then retired in 2007.

Ted Sr.