• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
I was wondering what happened to the P16 lowbed truck that had a Cat 3412 for power. I believe it was at Franklin River, a guy I worked with in Port McNeill showed me a couple of pictures once. It looked a little strange with the long hood.

dunwurken

Wonder what happened to the low bed truck at Menzies div. It had a 16v71 in it. Was called Smokey. It too had a looooong hood.

HDX

The truck was one of three sister trucks H92 H93 and H94 H92 was the lowbed truck for quite a few years and then after Karl Breidenbach retired (he drove H92 from new) the lowbed was towed behind H94 after she got rebuilt at Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo and Gary Cathers drove it. The three trucks were sold after the big M&B garage sale in 2003 One of the three (not sure which one) was cut up over at Coast PowerTrain in New West and one went to Ft McMurray The other one was going to Georgia but when money didnt show up she was sold to a guy just south of the border I met him this summer and BS'd with him for some time VERY NEAT GUY so she is in good hands As for the hoods YES they were very long and although they had the 3412's in them the power was cut way back due to the 60-61 Allison trans All three trucks had air throttles in them and that was interesting to get use to because there was no "feel" to them

HDX

It was a Finning warranty thing with the idea being that engine damage could occur over time when a driver started up the truck in the morning and stood on the throttle to build up air . The theory was some drivers have been known to do this and during the cold winter shifts this would be bad. The air throttle would not work till the air system was up to 65 lbs

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
Obviously the person that thought that up never ran something with a air throttle. Of course now it can be programmed into the engine ECM.

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
I was curious if you know what happened to H56. When the tri axle highway trucks were brought in, I believe H56 went to somewhere in Alberni. I think somebody actually drove it from Eve River to Alberni by logging road. Must have been a long, long drive if they did.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I was one of the guy's that put the 3412 Powered trucks together when new.I remember Cat comeing in and turning them down.As HDX stated it was to save the Allison..Those three trucks were the only time I ever saw that engine at Pacific.I didnt know one of them had been cut up..Big heavy engine.....Cory

HDX

diamondtguy Yes but I dont know what one was parted out H94 was the best of the three because she was rebuilt at Kenworth in Nanaimo and recabbed at the same time H93 was also not too bad and old H92 was still pretty untouched. She did have a "Cotta" aux trans installed while pulling the lowbed but as anyone that knew those trans it was VERY labour intensive to keep up It was finally removed just before Karl retired and it was then that H94 went under the bed and pretty well stayed married to it On a side note the lowbed itself was equipped with a steering bogie In other words the trailer axles were mounted on a hydralic operated turntable so the back end actually steered from the cab of the truck It had a "tiller" type valve with a port and starboard guage and the driver could steer the bed while going up around swithchbacks with equipment on. This was really good for the push truck because he was in the middle of the road pushing instead of in the ditch or climbing the bank trying to keep up.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
There are pics floating around of one of the 3412 trucks sitting outside of Coast Power Train...They claimed it was there for a rebuild.I will see if I can find the pics.Maybe there is a unit number on it...The trailer sounds like a cool pc....Cory

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
There are pics floating around of one of the 3412 trucks sitting outside of Coast Power Train...They claimed it was there for a rebuild.I will see if I can find the pics.Maybe there is a unit number on it...The trailer sounds like a cool pc....Cory

Here is link to Hanks website - Hank Rabes collection - pic is #sn. Lots of pics of truck when parked in New Westminster. Top of left side of watertank you can see #H94.
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/hank_rabe/2006/aug28/73.jpg

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Look at door of HFP unit #T1149. It says #H94. As I recall this truck is old #H55 but "HDX" knows for sure

Attachments

• 100_3749.jpg
    100_3749.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,545

HDX

Hayesno1 That old girl was bought new by M&B and was unit H155 When Weyerheauser took over M&B all trucks and equipment were left with their original numbers. After the big Weyco garage sale in 2002 this truck was obtained by Hayes forest and renumbered unit T1149 She was used till the engine developed problems(Cummins KTA) then parked where this picture was taken She sat there for over a year until Hayes Forest lowbedded her to Duncan She was stripped of a lot of her parts by this time. However she was given a new life after Island Pacific logging bought her and had her rebuilt and now she is IPL unit # H153

Last edited:

Sigurd

69hayes, interesting website thanks. Assume we are talking about a speed reducer in this application (heavy trucks), looking forward for an explanation
Sigurd

HDX

Sigurd The Cotta was more of what we would call a transfer case 2 Speeds high and low You would have to come to a complete stop in order to shift from low to high They were mounted behind the Allison trans So what this would do is give you 6 gears in low range for adverse road conditions and then when you got to not quite so steep ground you would stop and put the Cotta in high range and away you went.This would give the lowbed driver some slack because he could move equipment without waiting for a pushtruck Does this make sense? Also Crown Z had a number of P16s with SPR 570 rear ends and there was a couple that also had Cotta's in them There was three P16s that went to Crown Zs NitNat Operation with V16s in them These were the first of the "Super Trucks" that Pacific built These trucks were built to pull loads over the switchbacks from NitNat to their Nanaimo Lakes Operation That would have been in the late 70s early 80s A friend of mine Ian Brown got one of them new and I think she was one of the trucks that ended up on the ocean floor off Kyuquot when the barge turned turtle in a storm around 1983. All that stuff is still out there When the insurance outfit sent down the underwater cameras they found a Grapple yarder on top of the truck It was a huge loss for Crown Z as well as the crews that operated all that stuff. There is guys on this site that could go into this mishap a little further Sorry Sigurd for the long winded explanation but that about sums it up