• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mack M-100 SX

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I wonder why Mack got out of the offroad truck business. I ran a small rock quarry back in 1980, and we had a little Mack haul truck we used as a backup. It was about a 25 ton truck I would guess. That old Mack was a tough little rig. I don't ever remember it being down for anything, and it got used quite a bit, even though it was a back up unit. It had a Mack engine in it, but I don't know what model or size the engine was. A couple of the drivers liked it better than our R22 and R25 Euclids. Said it was a lot quieter.
Jeff

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I'm thinking getting over 100 tons needs a major change in drivetrain, possibly changing to electric if you didn't make your own axles.

BTW where did Mack make these ? In the Pa plant ?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The company I worked for had many of the off-road Macks. Had M-15, M-30, M-35, M-50, and M-65. Might be a couple other in there that I forget. The M-15 had, I seem to recall, V-8 Mack engines. The others had either Detroit or Cummins engines. Overall not bad machines but I think the Euclid or Cat haul trucks were better in some ways. Not sure about how they would compare to each other in regards purchase price or operating costs.

Attached is the last one that we had at the plant where I worked:
M-30 Mack02.jpg
Believe that one went to auction around 2002. That is my Ford Ranger sitting behind it!