• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

mack engine no start

kbeen

hello we have a 98 mack ch-613 truck with a E7-460 engine. we bought at a auction as is with the engine not running, was told had a possible bad engine electronic ecu. did read the fault codes and it did have 2 codes relating to the ecu controller and one for the data link. checked for voltage and grounds at the ecu according to the wiring schematic. all looked ok there, installed a good used ecu and still no start. still have same active fault codes with the used ecu. do have 80 psi fuel pressure, cracked all fuel line one at a time at the cylinder head and had what i think is good fuel there plus some air as they had ran one fuel tank completely dry, but i believe i have gotten all air removed. no black smoke at the exhaust. sometimes it will hit a few times but by the time you let off the key it has died. and by the way it will start and run on either just fine. any suggestions will be appreciated. thank you. :Banghead

Soodude

check the fuel cut off solenoid to see if it's opening up all the way when the key is on.... could be choking off your fuel right there.... follow the little wire to the fuel pump....

kbeen

i dont think this engine has a fuel cut off solenoid. it has the 6 indiviaual electric solenoids one on each cylinder. i assume when you turn off key the power stops to those solenoids and then dies. if not where is the solenoid you are talking about ? thank you

Soodude

The fuel shut off solenoid on our M11 and L10 are on the main pump but the pumps we have aren't timed or are you talking about the injectors on yours?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The E7 does use an ECU to control each "unit injector". Likely you're gonna need a laptop or pro link service tool to figure out why injectors aren't working proper.

kbeen

Yes you are correct. my engine is the E7 with the indivual injectors that are controlled by the ECU. was hoping someone might have already been down this road and seen what can cause this. i have already replace the engine ecu and all the wiring. but i understand there is a vecu module as well that can casue problems. thanks for all the comments.

kbeen

just replying back on my post to let anyone whom is concerned that the problem was the VECU module. installed a good used one and engine started right up. thanks to all.