• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mack CL350 ST logging truck

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Fall Day in Squamish

I rode up to Squamish today to check out some spots as suggested by another forum member - unfortunately I didn't see much. So I decided to get a shot of the previously mentioned 848 as mentioned by Bccat in a previous posting.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 2,787

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
More Mack Pics.

Some more shots taken from up-Vancouver Island by a fellow rider supposedly in 2011.

As an aside, I did a final ride for the season up through Squamish today and the old M & B H439 is still sitting there off to the side in the bushes. I wonder if she'll be there in the spring when I return. The scrap yard over by Industrial Way in Squamish is doing a roaring business from what I can see today. Lots of old machines are being processed.

Attachments

• IMG2840-L.jpg
    IMG2840-L.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 2,178
  • IMG2838-L.jpg
    IMG2838-L.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2,020
  • IMG2841-L.jpg
    IMG2841-L.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,012

log frog

H443 again

Recently spotted at Sayward, crossing the main road with boom extented to get under power wires.

DSCF1125.JPG

DSCF1126.JPG

DSCF1127.JPG

louisgbone

Occupation
Retired partsman and truck salesman
As like The Challenger logging truck Thread I think we should keep track of the Mack CL 350 ST logging trucks. They are part of BC logging industry so post pictures and information re. those mighty trucks.
According to Mack production records only 27 were built (production period 1976-1979). They were built at the Oakville Plant in Ontario. First truck went to MacMillan Bloedel Menzies Bay Div. in early spring 1977. I have not been able to gather any information re. serial numbers.

Of the 27 units built M&B got 13; 12 went to Menzie Bay Div.(unit #H435 to #H446) and 1 went to their Copper Canyon Div.
Husby got 7 unit in 1978 and 1979.
Irwing Olson, Campbell River got 2. They were later sold to Clyak (unit #7 and #8).
Thompson, Campbell River got one.
Heinz and Mike Chapmann, Campbell River got 2
Ted Routh got 1
I don’t know who got the last from new. I have been informed by some that only 26 were built. They might be right.:)

Most of the Mack trucks are still going strong. I think BenWest logging has 6(most of them old M&B units). Olympic Forest Products got 3(at least 2 of them are old MB - unit #H441 and H444). I don’t know how many Husby has in operation at present time - a few years ago they still had 5. There is a local contractor in Holberg that has one - ex. Ted Routh then Butch Carroll truck #11. MB #H443 is still operating for WFP. Clyak #8 is parked/all most scrapped. Thompson still got 1.
At least 2 have been scrapped (M&B unit #H437 and #H438) and 2 have wrecked:(

The 27 truck missing was sold to Apex House Moving in 1978 in burnaby,bc

dunwurken

Posting #46 caught my eye with reference to the Rolls Royce engine. Three of these where supplied to Menzies (about 1988) two of which where installed in the Macks. The other was left on the floor for spare parts. Cullen was the representative. Perkins was trying to get into the larger engine world and knew their name was associated with small diesels. They made some kind of arrangement with Rolls Royce to use their name to promote these engines. The engines where originally developed for the British military in tanks and were capable of up to about 1000HP. In the Macks they where dialed up to about 625HP and at that they could run away from the Cummins and DD wasn't even in the race. I recall seeing a graph that showed as the HP was increased the engine life decreased at 1000HP the engine life dropped drastically. Apparently in the tank application the driver could dial up the horsepower but at the expense of using up engine life but I guess if you want to get in, get done and get out it would be nice to have. I think they were good engines but support was a problem and they were difficult to work on. For example the fuel system including the pump was buried down in the V between the cylinders. Even a simple fuel line leak was hard to get to. An engine was also supplied to another division for use in a grapple yarder. Perkins to this day have 900HP V12 engines in their lineup which they say came out of their military line so they seem to have evolved and lived on in other industries with a better support.

Last edited:

madilljt

Occupation
logger/faller
I have a lot of pics of BenWest's Mack. Unfortunately it wont seem to let me upload any of them. Once I can figure it out I will share them!

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
I have a lot of pics of BenWest's Mack. Unfortunately it wont seem to let me upload any of them. Once I can figure it out I will share them!
You need more posts before you put up pictures, sorry do not remember how many.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Should post these here as well as M/B

Attachments

• Fishing 12 001 (Custom) (2).jpg
    Fishing 12 001 (Custom) (2).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Fishing 12 002 (Custom) (2).jpg
    Fishing 12 002 (Custom) (2).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Fishing 12 003 (Custom) (2).jpg
    Fishing 12 003 (Custom) (2).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,181
  • Fishing 12 005 (Custom) (2).jpg
    Fishing 12 005 (Custom) (2).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,176
Inlet Contracting (Pete Darwin) bought this truck( the blue one) a few years back. It ran in Holberg until his driver ( very little experience) was coming down hill too fast and couldn't negotiate turn and drove off road. I operate one of the hoe chuckers here. Was sitting about half a click down the road waiting for a lowbed when it happened.

Inlet Contracting (Pete Darwin) bought this truck( the blue one) a few years back. It ran in Holberg until his driver ( very little experience) was coming down hill too fast and couldn't negotiate turn and drove off road. I operate one of the hoe chuckers here. Was sitting about half a click down the road waiting for a lowbed when it happened.

Sorry to say, I found out a few weeks ago that truck was written off last year in Holberg. My dad was up at Saratoga Ventures looking for some 17inch air cleaners for my truck when Joe showed him to blue ones that happen to look a little familiar. Not sure how it happened, but I now have both Air cleaner housing on my HDX
You got the aircleaners from the ex Clyack truck that Pete Darwin Inlet Towing bought from Saratoga a few years back. It was wrecked here in Holberg when it ran away.The other truck is ex Butch Carroll that Brett Meredith( GCB Ventures) bought and later sold that and contract to Dan Clarke.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Pics of M&B unit #H437 with Pacific cab when she was scrapped at Tom Turners place in 2005.

Attachments

• Canada 2005 18072005 071s.jpg
    Canada 2005 18072005 071s.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 960
  • Canada 2005 18072005 074s.jpg
    Canada 2005 18072005 074s.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 955
  • Canada 2005 18072005 075s.jpg
    Canada 2005 18072005 075s.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 960

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Should post these here as well as M/B

The cab on this unit, is that the Mack cab that was rebuilt using Pacific doors? It seems that of all the Fat trucks, the CL-350 was the only one to have a bit of a slope to the hood. Did this give the truck better visibility?

Ap40

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
It Has been 36 years since i last drove a New CL350 in Zeballos and for the life of me I can not remember what the doors looks like. But in skadlls post # 71 it looks like they came with different doors. I remember it was a nice driving truck with good visibility. and some of the later K/W's had sloped hoods as well.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
It Has been 36 years since i last drove a New CL350 in Zeballos and for the life of me I can not remember what the doors looks like. But in skadlls post # 71 it looks like they came with different doors. I remember it was a nice driving truck with good visibility. and some of the later K/W's had sloped hoods as well.

Right on, yes post #71 shows the original factory Mack cab & doors. The tired one in post # 70, shows the rebuilt Mack cab with the Pacific bulkhead doors. Do you remember if the one you drove had the 12V-71 or a Cummins KTA?

thanks
Ap40

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
12V71N with Alison with a cable shifter. If you were in sixth and had to stop, and back up you quickly learned to hate it. It was also blue in color and they got rid of it 79 I think, do not know the reason why.