• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lull Highlander 844 TT-34 with JD motor

Bought a 80 something Lull 844. I need to repack all the cylinders and do a few other things to it. My question is, the carriage(?) leaks down and tilts toward the operator when sits overnight. Will repacking the cylinders prevent this? Or is there something else I need to look for?

I also need to find a service manual and operator manual if anyone can point me to the right place. I'll be changing all the fluids in it once I get it home.

Thanks much.

Zewnten

Usually I would support the carriage, remove the hydraulic lines, install hydraulic caps on the cylinder. If it bleeds down you have a bad cylinder. If not it’s in the valve. Be VERY careful if you decide to do this as taking the hydraulic hoses off will release pressure and the forks carriage will suddenly tilt down spraying you with oil and probably injuring you.

Usually I would support the carriage, remove the hydraulic lines, install hydraulic caps on the cylinder. If it bleeds down you have a bad cylinder. If not it’s in the valve. Be VERY careful if you decide to do this as taking the hydraulic hoses off will release pressure and the forks carriage will suddenly tilt down spraying you with oil and probably injuring you.
Thanks! I've taken all the cylinders off and am getting them all repacked. They needed it anyways. I appreciate the reply!

Does anyone have the process for getting the wheels "timed" so I can drive this machine properly? Right now, it's all out of whack. I heard you have to turn your front wheels all the way to one side, then select another steering option, then turn the rear wheels to one side and select something else.. but I'm not sure the exact process to get it to where I only use front steering and the rear wheels stay straight. For what I need, front steering will be used 99% of the time. It's a 844 so it has the handle beside the seat for the rear lock.

Zewnten

Usually I steer just the fronts close to what the backs are at then connect them so they all turn together to the stop but the ones I work on are electrically controlled

Roadoil

I usually put it in 4 wheel steer straighten rear wheels then put in 2 wheel straighten them then back to 4wheel steer or crab