• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lull Funk transmission interchange?

HylandTimberFraming

Hello All, I picked up a cheap older Lull 844-TT42 that is in overall great condition...but the transmission is blown up. A bearing let loose inside and chewed up a few hard parts. It looks like parts are available for rebuild and I wouldn't be afraid to do it, but it will be a bit expensive. If possible I'd like to find a good used transmission to pop in there instead.

My transmission is a Funk, Spec. # 7711. This machine must be pre- 86 since it doesn't show up on the serial number charts. What I'm wondering is if it would be that hard to put a Funk 4023 or 1724 in this machine since they used those in later machines. I'm not sure on the technical differences in gear ratio etc. but as long as the case is similar and it can handle the proper HP it seems like it should be feasible. It seems like a driveshaft modification might be the worst outcome.

My machine doesn't have the original Waukesha motor, it's been upgraded to Deere 4045DF-150.

Any ideas from everyone here? Am I nuts, or should I just bite the bullet and rebuild the transmission I already have?

tractormech

I'd look at an 11000 series Clark. They have them with manual shift valve bodies. Pettibone 636's had them in the early 90's.

HylandTimberFraming

I'd look at an 11000 series Clark. They have them with manual shift valve bodies. Pettibone 636's had them in the early 90's.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, why would you go that route rather than sticking with a Funk transmission?

I think I've figured that the transmission is a Funk 1724 series and the spec number is 7711. I found a nearly identical Funk 1724 out a Dynahoe 190. The spec number is different but I'm guessing the differences are fairly minor. The Dynahoe trans. looks like it may have a different output shaft to accommodate a brake disk right on the trans. My disk is up by the axle. If need be I could swap the output shaft from my bad trans in or have the drive shaft modified.

John Deere owns Funk now, so I may try them. The prospect sounds awful though!

tractormech

I was looking at parts availability. The Funk stuff, if even available is very expensive. and there's more Clark stuff out there. You'd have to modify mounts and whatnot but it could be done. It all depends on how far you want to go with that old of a machine. If you can get enough stuff to repair yours then that may be your best option. The Clark option would just be better (IMO) than it sitting there broken.

HylandTimberFraming

I get what you mean now. I noticed that the Funk stuff is expensive! $2,800 just for gaskets, seals, and clutches not even getting to replacing any hard parts!
I'm leaning towards getting the Funk that came out of the Dynahoe, but I'll update when I get it figured out.