• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lull 644 1989 No neutral

jfdube

Occupation
Construction inspector
Hi everyone!

I can't get neutral with it. On reverse it runs like sticked brake on a wheel. On forward No problem! 1-2-3. I had a look on selecting rods and they seem travel OK. This problem append after I change forward to reverse without being completely stopped. I mean I was really slow. This my own machine I don't beat it! It was running pretty good so far!

Anybody got similar problem?
I need good advices
Thanks
J-F

BillG

Hi, I will take a wag here. Being a powershift transmission I think that your forward clutch pack or associated components are failing. What happens is a friction plate starts to come apart and takes up the space normally provided for slippage, in other words the space that is allowed when assembled. Without this space there is no slippage (or not enough) so the clutch pack acts as though it is locked or partially locked. When in forward it acts normally because you want this pack locked but in reverse you are trying to apply both packs and because forward has no hydraulic pressure it will slip when forced. And this is why it seems as though you have a brake applied. Hope this helps.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, what I'm thinking as well BillG. I've seen clutch packs on Ford loader/hoe's that have bent the drum of clutch packs on forward. It makes the forward clutch pack always have friction, never has neutral when that happens, and reverse really drags then. Can't say for 100% certain jfdube, but it sure sounds like you got problems inside your tranny.

jfdube

Occupation
Construction inspector
Hi everyone!

Thanks for your replies.
Here is my strategy:
I would check spools in transmission control valve and other related components. Evidence of problem in transmission remote filter by inspecting inside. So far I still search for a external cause... I called at Joseph industries for describing my problem. The troubleshooting guy think that forward clutch pack is falling a part.
If external causes aren't the source of my problem I'm going to call a guy to check pressures by ports on control valve.
But this test is supposed to be performed at 2000rpm. So how to perform the test without neutral? Doing it while travelling? Is it possible?

I checked inside upper part of transmission by the "screen opening". Do a filter or screen is supposed to be there? I didn't find any screen. I didn't find any evidence of problem there.

If someone can give me advice about pressure test with no neutral and about any improved troubleshooting strategy.
Thanks
J-F

jfdube

Occupation
Construction inspector
Hi everyone

The filter examination confirmed the worst! There was enough steel particules between filter cells to reveal a major problem... Now I got to turn myself on the job coming.
Strategy now is take this heavy transmission out. I read the service manual about this operation. Reading is easy... Even in cyrillic. Acting in this is a good challenge for a rookie as I.

Somebody here did this operation? You got tricks for me. Tell me how you managed to move it forward. Further than the frame cross member right over it.
Witch kind of lifting device does a good controlled job to take the monster out. Without dammage it or something else. Or somebody...

I plan to hire a good reputation bush mechanic to help me in this.
My strategy is take it out right on my work site. Is this an utopia?
Once done I plan to bring the piece in a well reputed shop. I just put a mate on this task. (Find a good place where they rebuilt industrial automatic transmission) I'm waiting for a call back.
Some user of this forum knows a good place located in east? I mean in Low St-Lawrence River area, province of Quebec, Canada.

For guys who knows Funk power-shift transmission I need your help!

Thanks
J-F

(I really hope this is not the beginning of a epic mechanic roman)

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
you are probably better to give the whole machine to a shop who can take it out easier with the proper tools and equipment. I know I like to save money to but sometimes working in the dirt just sucks! At least price the difference before you start. See what having them do the entire job cost.

jfdube

Occupation
Construction inspector
Hoy mate!

You are right! I brought the machine in a shop friday morning. For 140$ this is well worth it. No doubt!
Now I'm looking for parts. I had Leaman in CA and Gear center in Ontario. The mechanic is supposed to check with his JD parts supplier.
I try to get the best deal on parts because 25 to 30 hours are going to cost me lots!

J-F

jfdube

Occupation
Construction inspector
Hi in Michigan state!

I really doubt about this strategy you propose. To me a change for a used one is not a sure deal. I prefer the overhaul strategy because yours could be just to the breakdown point. I can't afford two transmission removal... Don't take it personal. You where good to propose. (This is Funk 4000 series 9815E spec trans.)

Thanks J-F