• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lull 1044c54

barklee

The extend retract cylinder mounted under the main boom is leaking. Looks to be coming from the seals. There is a way i think to replace the seals without removing the cylinder from the machine??? Seems like we had another one do this and that was how they did it. Any ideas?

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
IIRC On that machine the rod on the cylinder just goes up into the flyboom and has a nut correct? If so remove the nut with the boom horizontal and extended about a foot or so. Retract the cylinder which will bring the rod back. You will be able to remove the gland and replace the seals. The piston seal would not be able to be replace like thing without pulling the rod but if you are just having an external leak it is a quick easy fix this way. JJ

EdB

Occupation
Whatever it takes
The extend retract cylinder mounted under the main boom is leaking. Looks to be coming from the seals. There is a way i think to replace the seals without removing the cylinder from the machine??? Seems like we had another one do this and that was how they did it. Any ideas?

First thing I'd do is download and save the Service manual. Go here http://www.jlg.com/en-US/Maintenance.Repairs.html
and click on the Parts & Service manuals link. Good step-by-step instructions for safe repairs on this stuff. I think it's important to remember that you need to relieve any pressure that the load-check valves on each cylinder may be holding before you start disassembling any part of the hydraulics.
Also parts manuals available at the site. I downloaded and saved those also, to make ordering parts a bit easier.