1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Lubricant Dyes

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by 1466IH, Jun 18, 2022.

1. 1466IH

1466IH Senior Member

Does anyone know of any dyes for lubricants? I was working out of town once and saw that they had all of the different oil types color coded. 10wt was blue and 30wt was red etc. I have asked a few different oil suppliers in the area and none of them have heard of this. I know you can get UV dyes for finding leaks but I do not believe this was uv dye and was delivered to their bulk tanks with coloring added at supplier

2. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    Readily available. Powder or liquid, from multiple suppliers. Some of my customers speced it.

3. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

You can get the red and blue die at your local cat dealer.

4. 1466IH

1466IH Senior Member

Do you have any p/n's or any more details I can give to my oil supplier? What all colors are available?

5. 1466IH

1466IH Senior Member

Do you know p/n's?

6. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

Not off hand but the parts people will know what they are generally have a few behind the counter setting be care with it that stuff can be messy

Nige likes this.
  7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    9U-5031 is the Red Dye, 9U-5032 is the Blue. There are only two colours available.
    Note that these are NOT UV dyes for fuel leak detection, purely an oil colourant so that if there is a leak it gives you an idea of which system is leaking.

Last mine I worked at our lube supplier (Shell) added dye to bulk oils before they were delivered to site.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  8. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    I have the evidence on my last pair of work boots...........

9. 1466IH

1466IH Senior Member

Thank you Nige. Not looking for anything UV. I do have dye for that. More or less looking for an aid to the operators when topping off machines.

10. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

Mine has secondary containment for that reason the stain did finally wear off the shop floor
    20220619_182313.jpg

Coaldust likes this.
  11. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    That stuff spreads worse than anti-seize. We were dealing with drum dispensers and holy cow, it was messy.