• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lube skid

savman

If work keeps up, I had been toying with the idea of a Thunder Creek....but 68k....yea, I'd rather have autos a hoe for sure.

I like the skid or trailer idea; treemucher especially had a lot of good ideas imo.

savman

We've been running 3-4 pieces of equipment daily and my two ~100 gallon truck tanks are struggling to keep up; that's for sure. And we're blowing through the grease.

1.) larger tanks would eliminate as many trips to my fuel distributor (job is only say 3 weeks long running this much iron, if that)

2.) the gas powered true 35-40 gpm fuel pump would be a godsend

3.) keg grease would be a little cheaper but more importantly fast, as we're burning through tubes of grease that we have to change and cleanup.

4.) an onboard air compressor is a must have; as it is, I'm bringing my 185 cfm IR compressor as that's all I have. Blowing out filters now that it's dusty again is a necessity.

5.) had a hydraulic hose blow yesterday; a pressure washer skid w/water would be real nice. Thankfully they have water near, so we'll just bring a regular one. Got 'lucky' on that score.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
If you want to build your own trailer system, look at Homesteader Hercules line for a stout built enclosed trailer. I had purchased one to carry up to 2 totes of water plus pressure washer for in-field clean outs. I also used it several times when I needed the filtration cart to drain a hydraulic system and/or refill a system from 55 gal drums. Field service is a lot easier when you have everything you possibly need and the trailer makes carrying the bulky stuff a lot easier, when needed. The 14' trailer that I bought is large enough to build in a bunk if I want to stay on site and camp out.

Savman, you could put some 300 gallon totes in one of these trailers and have bulk off road delivered on site. Play your cards right and always move with an empty set of totes when you're back on the road. When it comes to greasing, a hose reel and pnuematic powered keg are a real time saver. The next step after that is grease distribution blocks so that you can evenly grease multiple points from one location. I reduced 14 fitting points to 2 remote points that are easier to access with a custom built system for under $400. More than paid for itself within 2 months via time savings and no more dealing with clogged fittings. I've even added an on-board system where I can grease my most critical points while operating with the flip of a switch. It's not all that expensive if you source it and install it yourself.

crane operator

There's no way I would drop $68,000 on a thunder creek trailer. I don't care how nice it is. And I know the guy that started the company. That would pay for a lot of insurance and plates for your old lube truck.

crane operator

This trailer is for sale by me, $7,900. 550 gallons of fuel, and it looks like you could put two or three - 50 gal tanks ahead of the fuel for oil. and hyd. tanks.

Room in the back rack for your def, but I think you would want a cover because I don't think def likes sun. Some diamond plate aluminum and a hinge would fix that right up.

You can send me the extra $54,550 you'll save over thunder creek. I would even settle for 10 % finders fee.load trail fuel trailer..jpgload trail fuel trailer 2..jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
This trailer is for sale by me, $7,900. 550 gallons of fuel, and it looks like you could put two or three - 50 gal tanks ahead of the fuel for oil. and hyd. tanks.

Room in the back rack for your def, but I think you would want a cover because I don't think def likes sun. Some diamond plate aluminum and a hinge would fix that right up.

You can send me the extra $54,550 you'll save over thunder creek. I would even settle for 10 % finders fee.View attachment 287365View attachment 287366

Well that trailer is about useless as teats on a boar hog to me so don't take out an advance on that finders fee. ;)

Fuel is not the issue at the moment as we can get a 500 gal tank dropped for free from our oil supplier and I'm not buying a trailer that requires a hazmat license. Yeah, yeah in a perfect world and no zealous DOT officers one could time the re-fuels just right and move it empty but the world is far from perfect.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Progress report on the lube skid build.

50 Gal reclaim tank we scrounged up used about to get a hot water pressure wash.

IMG_4954.jpeg

2- 25 gal product tanks the guys built out of plate from KGS Steel.

IMG_4955.jpeg

Skid bottom fab'ed out of some small I beam we gathered from some demo job we couldn't remember and a stick of new channel.

IMG_4957.jpeg

Reversing valve for the waste oil came in last Thursday. We have a little time next week to finish it up before we start a project at a national home supply store the middle of this month.

IMG_4959.jpeg

Still need to order one new oil pump, hose and hose reel.

Oxbow

Well that trailer is about useless as teats on a boar hog to me so don't take out an advance on that finders fee. ;)

Fuel is not the issue at the moment as we can get a 500 gal tank dropped for free from our oil supplier and I'm not buying a trailer that requires a hazmat license. Yeah, yeah in a perfect world and no zealous DOT officers one could time the re-fuels just right and move it empty but the world is far from perfect.
Empty or loaded, as I understand it anything that has a capacity of 1000 lbs. in a single tank is subject to hazmat. We often haul two 105 gallon tanks in one pickup, but because they are two seperate tanks hazmat is not required.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Empty or loaded, as I understand it anything that has a capacity of 1000 lbs. in a single tank is subject to hazmat. We often haul two 105 gallon tanks in one pickup, but because they are two seperate tanks hazmat is not required.

Isn't it somewhere around 113 gallon is the cutoff for one tank before hazmat kicks in?

We have a 110 gal tank on a pallet that I can legally haul full in my truck with 100 gal L tank full as well since the tanks are not connected together.

That's why the Thundercreek trailers require no hazmat since they link 100 gal tanks together with electric valves and one pump. Salesman at Conex said if the main manifold that controlled all the valves and pump was turned ON and it was running down the road then a hazmat license would be required. OFF and it met Fed rules. So to idiot proof it they put a kill switch on the front door latch to turn it off.

We have to keep up with state contractors licenses, business licenses, trade certifications, CDL requirements and a plethora of safety qualifications so the last thing I want to keep up with is hazmat licensing for something that would not benefit the company at this time.

Oxbow

Isn't it somewhere around 113 gallon is the cutoff for one tank before hazmat kicks in?

We have a 110 gal tank on a pallet that I can legally haul full in my truck with 100 gal L tank full as well since the tanks are not connected together.

That's why the Thundercreek trailers require no hazmat since they link 100 gal tanks together with electric valves and one pump. Salesman at Conex said if the main manifold that controlled all the valves and pump was turned ON and it was running down the road then a hazmat license would be required. OFF and it met Fed rules. So to idiot proof it they put a kill switch on the front door latch to turn it off.

We have to keep up with state contractors licenses, business licenses, trade certifications, CDL requirements and a plethora of safety qualifications so the last thing I want to keep up with is hazmat licensing for something that would not benefit the company at this time.
I'm not sure, I understood it as a 1,000 lbs., so 125 gallons @ 8lbs./gallon. I know diesel is lighter than that so maybe the standard 105 gallon transfer tank allows a fair buffer.

I kind of like the idea of multiple tanks/one pump and still be legal via the manifold!

Oxbow

I was just thinking that the multi-tank approach could be real handy for us in the winter. Most of our winter fuel is adequately treated, but it might be cost-effective for us to have #1 diesel in half the tanks so that we could blend according to the current temperature.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG

Really can’t haul fuel in most of them. They have to be moved empty, like you said. We would have to pump them off for the customer, move and refill.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
A little update on the skid.

Tanks finished up and getting painted. The primer was white so it made the white painting part that much easier.

IMG_5034.jpeg

Used the KBS Coatings 53000 clean, etch and seal products to seal the inside of the 2 new 25 gal product tanks.

Test run on Ol Blue in order to start the prep and prime stage.

IMG_5036.jpeg

IMG_5037.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Further progress. This is all my guys design and build, the only addition to the design I made was the 4 way valve.

IMG_5054.jpeg

4 way diverter valve -

IMG_5056.jpeg

Waste oil tank mounted at the back. The expanded metal between the reels and the waste tank will be used to store the waste oil hose.

The yellow reel is a Graco we already had and will be used for engine oil. The white reel is one ordered on Amazon for less than $300 and I'm impressed for the price.

IMG_5055.jpeg

Also had the Graco waste oil diaphragm pump.

IMG_5057.jpeg

Ordered a Goodyear brand (whoever makes it in China) 3:1 air pump again from Amazon. Time will tell how it will hold up.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Forgot to update the thread as it's been busy.

Not the best pic but the skid is 90% complete. Going to use some 2x2 metal tubing to build a protective cage with a lifting eye so it can be lifted with a trackhoe if needed.

Turned out pretty nice for the labor and equipment expended.

IMG_5278.jpeg

Engine oil on the right with the yellow Grayco reel and pump we already had. White reel and Goodyear pump for 10W on the left ordered from Amazon. Tubing and misc fittings from HD.

The expanded metal area is for the suction hose storage.

IMG_5279.jpeg

Oxbow

Forgot to update the thread as it's been busy.

Not the best pic but the skid is 90% complete. Going to use some 2x2 metal tubing to build a protective cage with a lifting eye so it can be lifted with a trackhoe if needed.

Turned out pretty nice for the labor and equipment expended.

View attachment 291465

Engine oil on the right with the yellow Grayco reel and pump we already had. White reel and Goodyear pump for 10W on the left ordered from Amazon. Tubing and misc fittings from HD.

The expanded metal area is for the suction hose storage.

View attachment 291466
That looks nice!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks! I think it turned out pretty good.