• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lower cost fuel...

suladas

I was able to get a hold of 325 gallons of off road diesel from a generator at a hospital last year. Filled my tote and hauled it back. It was illegal to haul for me that much fuel, but State Trooper I talked to said don't pass a weight station, put a tarp over it, and don't get in an accident. Getting off topic

I mentioned it to a fella that fills farm diesel tanks, what I have and he had no issue with it. Now he did not look at my setup, but I told him what I have. Have one tote sitting on another for gravity feed. Buddy uses same tote but uses a pump to pump it out

Now the ball valve may leak (depends on how old) but all have caps to close them off. It there is another leak for simular get some cheap vitron gasket and replace cap gasket

Yea I figure the worst part would be transporting them as it's not legal here either I believe, especially because i'd probably want 4 of them to get a worthwhile amount.

Considering the small capacity if I used a pump would need to be able to remove it easy, so would probably just remove it every time and store in my sea can.

suladas

Yep, down here the fuel companies will fill whatever you tell them to fill :)

Interesting. Guess i'll make a phone call tomorrow and if they will fill them it's time to buy some tanks. There's a ton for sale ranging from $50-150. Won't even take 1 fill to pay for them.

Welder Dave

A lot of pumps say on them to only use approved containers. I think it would totally depend on the cop or DOT that pulled you over. There are a few laws that are a real grey area like caps on cylinders in transport. They sell caps that allow you keep regulators on but they aren't DOT approved. There are a lot of welding trucks with regulators attached to cylinders but I talked to someone who got a $750 fine with the snap caps when the law and enforcement rules aren't real clear. He thinks it was basically a gung ho highway patrol wanting to find something wrong. His cylinders were securely attached and upright. It would have taken a collision with train to cause a problem. Probably more chance of a gas tank exploding. I guess you need to decide if taking the risk is worth it.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
A lot of pumps say on them to only use approved containers. I think it would totally depend on the cop or DOT that pulled you over. There are a few laws that are a real grey area like caps on cylinders in transport. They sell caps that allow you keep regulators on but they aren't DOT approved. There are a lot of welding trucks with regulators attached to cylinders but I talked to someone who got a $750 fine with the snap caps when the law and enforcement rules aren't real clear. He thinks it was basically a gung ho highway patrol wanting to find something wrong. His cylinders were securely attached and upright. It would have taken a collision with train to cause a problem. Probably more chance of a gas tank exploding. I guess you need to decide if taking the risk is worth it.
The DOT in NB have been replaced with the public safety enforcement. Basically the old highway patrol. In the last few years they started going after everything. Dot always left our fuel truck alone. We have a 2000 liter tank in a cube van. They saw someone fueling out of the back of it. Had to have placards, the tank had to be inspected, the driver had to have a dangerous goods ticket. Then they checked all the slip tanks. we had mostly old truck tanks in a frame. They all had to be replaced. Then they started picking on our one ton trucks. We have hauled the Bobcat with the asphalt grinder, bucket, 2 brooms, and water tank on a three axle trailer behind a 4 door F450. Now the driver needs a class 3 without air brakes to drive the truck.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
The DOT in NB have been replaced with the public safety enforcement. Basically the old highway patrol. In the last few years they started going after everything. Dot always left our fuel truck alone. We have a 2000 liter tank in a cube van. They saw someone fueling out of the back of it. Had to have placards, the tank had to be inspected, the driver had to have a dangerous goods ticket. Then they checked all the slip tanks. we had mostly old truck tanks in a frame. They all had to be replaced. Then they started picking on our one ton trucks. We have hauled the Bobcat with the asphalt grinder, bucket, 2 brooms, and water tank on a three axle trailer behind a 4 door F450. Now the driver needs a class 3 without air brakes to drive the truck.
Yeah cuttin edge, they started doing that around here few years back... anybody with a one ton and a trailer behind it was getting pulled over!!!

Tugger2

I got ticketed in Saskatchewan a few years ago for having an empty tidy tank on the crane truck i was driving back from Manitoba to BC.They asked me how big the tank was and i guessed about 400L. so he writes me a ticket for not having dangerous goods certification for over 400 L. Tank was dry empty given to me when i bought the truck.Typical picky DOT. It stuff like that that makes me truck at night and on weekends.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I picked up an empty container at the port in Halifax. Got to the scales in Bouctouche NB. They kept the red light on and the guy came out and motioned me to the back. There was a whimis placard on the back, and he wouldn't let me leave unless I scraped it off. He didn't fine me, but he said it couldn't be there unless I was hauling what was on the label. You would think if your tank was empty, you wouldn't need markings. I think here, you have to be off the road with anything wider than the deck of your float, half an hour before before dark. Friday you have to be off the road by 4:00, but you can haul oversize on Saturday, but then the only day you can move a house is on a Sunday before 9 AM, but then if you go to another province the rules change again.

Welder Dave

In the distant past a good cop would give a warning and 24 hours to meet requirements. Years ago I got pulled over by the truck unit hauling a 45 HP tractor behind a 1 ton. One guy asks for my license and registration and the other guy spends 10 minutes walking around inspecting my trailer, tires, safety chains and how the tractor is chained down etc. Says everything is good. Then the first prick gives me a $150 ticket because I didn't have GVW numbers on the side of the truck. I told them when I registered it all I was told is they have to be registered as a unit. There was never any mention that it required GVW numbers on the truck. They guessed it was over 5500kg. There's trailers on the road that are just plain scary and I get a ticket because I don't have some numbers on the side of the truck. Why couldn't they have just informed me I needed the numbers on the side? I had it registered for the capacity of the truck and trailer and was know where close to that. Someone suggested I should have fought it because they never put it on a scale.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
One of our guys carries a copy of the regs for moving equipment with him. As long as the chains are certified, it goes by weight. According to the book, I can haul the D3 with 2 chains. I normally use more especially if there is snow on the deck or raining. There is no law for cross chaining, but I normally cross chain large excavators, and the shuttle buggy. Like you said, it depends on the cop.I could see if it's a clear safety violation, but GVW numbers, a warning or advisory would be good enough.

Raildudes dad

In Michigan, any tank over 400 gallons needs containment. I haven't researched multiple containers less than 400 but seem to rmember that's a no-no.

suladas

I wouldn't consider taking tanks like that to be filled, too much liability/risk/hassle transporting them. But if I can get them filled at my yard? Sure. Exactly why I bought a 100 gallon slip tank, to be under the limit and not have any issues.

I've been pretty lucky with getting stopped actually, never stopped by DOT. In fact I had one cop thank me for tieing everything down properly when he was ticketing me for a stupid driving infraction. Never got a ticket for anything other then driving infractions. I did get a warning once though, cop thought I had a low tire as duals were nearly touching, wasn't smart enough to know it was because I was overloaded, not a low tire. So I kept my mouth shut. Ended up with a $300 ticket on a monday because registration expired the day before.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've always considered tickets as being taxes for doing something stupid. Stupid doesn't mean being dumb, most of the time just uniformed. Things like mud flaps you didn't know got torn off and such. On the other hand doing things that are regulated and not knowing those regulations is being stupid and sometimes you have to pay the stupid tax.

Welder Dave

It doesn't help when the regulations aren't real clear and the people enforcing them aren't familiar with them. There can be differences between provincial regulations and federal regulations as well. Have talked to a couple guys with welding trucks that were told they need to have dangerous goods placards on their trucks. Placards generally aren't required unless you have over 5 cylinders. It goes by weight. If you're carrying 4 liquid oxygen dewars you need placards. A customer brought in a couple milk crates full of plumbers B tanks to get exchanged and required placards on the truck. A welding truck with 3 or 4 cylinders doesn't require them. Reminds me of the video below where the cop doesn't know the bylaw he's trying to enforce.

Don.S

On top of what john said i must add that if they gave warnings why would anyone stop? I know i have played stupid to try and get out of a ticket and the times it worked i did the same thing again.

Welder Dave

Nothing wrong with giving a friendly reminder to get something fixed (that isn't a serious safety issue) so it meets regulations. You don't stop is another issue all together. It's a big power trip for some of the people giving tickets.

Here's where they should throw the book at someone yet they also gave warnings. A little more serious than having a tail light out, missing a mud flap or not knowing you need numbers over 5500kg's.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/a-huge-...red-load-gets-13-traffic-violations-1.4586472

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
We have CVOR's here in Ontario to make revenue collection easier for the MTO and police...Saves them from having to key in all your info every time they ticket you...