• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lowboy trailer brakes

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
S cams come in L and R hand rotation it is not so much turning it over as much as getting the correct direction

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
With the slack unhooked from the cam, can you move the cam freely? If the cam turns hard, it would be easier for the slack to pull the chamber rod than move the cam
The push rod will not rotate out of the can of adjusted in the correct direction
The pish rod ahould be forced into the can not out

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
At one point I did take the clevis pin out and I could not mover the slack adjuster by hand. But as said the shoes and drum are new. There is very little room for movement it’s a very close fit. When I had the clevis out as I said earlier I put the battery powered drill on the adjuster and spun the cam around without the shoes installed. I didn’t try and move it by hand and I should have. The shoes move in the right direction when the brakes are applied. When I try to adjust them is where the trouble is. The slack adjuster moves in lieu of the s cam shaft. Either way you turn it in or out. I know how to adjust them the other 3 wheels are working as they should. It’s not me. I’m going to try a new slack adjuster at the very least. Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t know how else to explain it.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Sounds like the cam is binding in the bearings and hard to move.
So you tighten the slack adjuster until the brake is tight and somewhat applied then when you back it off half a turn the rod pulls out of the brake pot instead of the cam moving back to the free clearance position.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If the cam is not moving by hand a Slack adjuster will not change it. Is most likely frozen inside the bushings and will need pulled and cleaned regreased at the least.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Yes I don’t like throwing parts at the problem. I really think it may be corrosion and crap in the bearings etc. I’m gonna try greasing it and see what happens. Thanks again for all the opinions and yes mobile tech u are correct.