• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lowboy Tires

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving
I have a 3 axle lowboy thats been sitting idle for 10 years. Its a good trailer and i want to put it back in service. the problem is this. 10.00x15 LPT tires. We have dayton open center wheels. The thing was built in the 80's when everybody ran them. My question is should I try to buy all new tires (Current ones are 12 years old and dry rotting) and tubes and flaps maybe 3500$ or switch rims and tires. Nebraska tire has a wheel that converts to a 17.5" tire. Those wheels are 140$ each ( I need 12 of them) then the cost of the tire. Anybody done this? Is it worth the extra cost down the road?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Absativley possulutely! Haha go for the tubeless. Easier and safer to mount and dismount. Not as hard to find tires in a pinch either. Waaaay more options for price and quality of tires as well. Cozy up to the local tire man and he might bring you good used take-offs or discards from other places.

How much will it get pulled? The key to 17.5's are keeping the pressure up and watch your road speed when loaded. Especially when it's hot. A little bargain hunting and you might be able to get new wheels and good used 17.5 tires cheaper than new 10.00's. Just watch the date codes on used tires and inspect the wedges that hold the rim on your wheels. They may need to be changed if the new tubeless rims have a different profile. Also, keep an eye on the studs and nuts too.

If you've never played with daytons I can throw a few tips your way to make life easier :)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Besides the rims and wedges may need to invest in replacement center spacers, these come in all variety of widths to a specific hub and wheel combination, the tire dealer should have access to them.