• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Love my old grove

td25c

ATCOEQUIP,you hit the nail on the head about most carpenters.Nail it up boys ,and dont worry about the fireworks comming off the crane in the power line!

td25c

bill onthehill,Most of our trusses are deliverd by a tractor trailer that has a rolling tailboard on the trailer.The driver unstraps the load then backs in hitting the brakes to unload the trusses at the job.And yes,That is a good idea to mark the trusses for the perlons before setting them.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
bill onthehill,Most of our trusses are deliverd by a tractor trailer that has a rolling tailboard on the trailer.The driver unstraps the load then backs in hitting the brakes to unload the trusses at the job.

...right under the power lines! :eek:

I can see you pulling up on the job and muttering "what the..." :D

td25c

...right under the power lines! :eek:

I can see you pulling up on the job and muttering "what the..." :D

Thats how it was this evening when I looked at the job."What in the ding dang heck were they thinking".I will post some pics of the job setting the trusses later in the week.

dozerdave

Hi 25C,

Nice crane and Grove was always my favorite to operate.

Here is an unusual story that happened to me. The crane was a Grove 18 ton RT that we used for hanging #18 bars for the iron workers in the tunnel because it was faster than an air tugger. I arrived at the job site and my crane was not in it's usual spot where the night shift oiler would have serviced it. I finally found it inside the u/s portal with the boom fully extended up into the shaft with a welding ground clamp snapped on to a hoist line shiv. I walked around the back of the crane and there was another ground clamp snapped to a rear outrigger. The iron workers Sup. came up to me and said let's hang some steel. I said I need to have the master mechanic make that decision because your hands used this crane for a ground cable last night. After a lot of pawing the ground the master mechanic showed up and more fur was flying. After a complete check up we went to work.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Nail benders have no concept of safety and there has been many a post to reinforce this statement.

Stock

td25c

Thanks dozerdave I like the grove's to.Wow! That story makes my blood boil.I would have tolled the iron workers superviser that he just bought himself an 18 ton grove rt crane.Dang!The man That I bought my crane from was very particular and kepped it in top working order rite down to the locks on the doors & rigging box.And he advised me to use them if I left the crane at a job site overnight.

td25c

setting trusses in tight quartrers

We got the trusses set this afternoon on the new addition at the church.As it turns out the truss manufacturer that delivered the trusses just dumped them under the power line and left without saying anything to the carpenters.They used a small loader tractor to move the trusses up against the church where I tolled them .The job went well and they were a good crew to work with,we got them all set in about 3 hours.I called the power company and they coverd the primary electric line with safety shields at the closest piont.It was a tight squeeze working between the church and power lines.All went well and everyone was happy.

Attachments

• nickoalson valley trusses 008.jpg
    nickoalson valley trusses 008.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 392
  • nickoalson valley trusses 010.jpg
    nickoalson valley trusses 010.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 389
  • nickoalson valley trusses 003.jpg
    nickoalson valley trusses 003.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 403

td25c

Now this was a simple job just setting 36' trusses,but even simple jobs can have some big hassles like the power line,we located the septic tank & leach lines before we backed in,and the ground was a little soft as we had a 3 inch rain two day's ago,so I brought along extra cribbing and locked in the power divider and poured the coal to the old Grove when I backed in to the job.I also installed the ground rod.The last picture is a tool that I use to help me judge the boom position when setting trusses and returning the boom line back to the truss pile.It's just a traveling indicator on the boom cylinder with a standard tape measure under it.It helps alot.

Attachments

• nickoalson valley trusses 007.jpg
    nickoalson valley trusses 007.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 408
  • nickoalson valley trusses 011.jpg
    nickoalson valley trusses 011.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 389
  • nickoalson valley trusses 013.jpg
    nickoalson valley trusses 013.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 397

dozerdave

I really enjoyed your pictures and laughed about the carpenters. My problem with carpenters was the whole crew always wanted to play signalman. The best signalmen for me were ironworkers.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I really enjoyed your pictures and laughed about the carpenters. My problem with carpenters was the whole crew always wanted to play signalman. The best signalmen for me were ironworkers.

Your absolutely right dozerdave. :D

shipman

Good to hear that you guys like your old Grove cranes.... cause I've just bought a 1975 RT59S (15 ton) to use at our boat yard. We are retiring an old stationary derrick type crane of unknown age and make. Had a visit from a Ministy of Labour inspector who just couldn't deal with the fact that there was no capacity or builder plaque on it, just our own self imposed WLL. Any how the RT will be way handier around the yard.

stock

Occupation
We are retiring an old stationary derrick type crane of unknown age and make. Had a visit from a Ministy of Labour inspector who just couldn't deal with the fact that there was no capacity or builder plaque on it, just our own self imposed WLL. Any how the RT will be way handier around the yard.

Now you can't go saying things like that without pictures,give us a look maybe someone here will identify it ................

Last edited:

shipman

Boat Yard Crane

She was standing here in 1973 when my Dad bought the marina. It had a 30' wooden boom and we cranked the hoist winch by hand. I put an other photo in the "favorite crane" thread. We think it originally came from the docks in Midland Ontario.

Attachments

• P0007127.jpg
    P0007127.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 412

stock

Occupation
Nice little city crane "well wear"

shipman

Its a RT59S 1975. We had the wheels off to change the wheel seals and got the brake shoes re-lined. New oil cooler. Broken glass replaced. Quite a few hydraulic hoses. Needed one outrigger shim replaced. New cable on both winches. Swing brake needed a new master cylinder. Looking for a short jib. Got an ajustable spreader frame engineered and being built. I'll post more pics when we are all rigged for lifting boats.

Attachments

• P0007186.jpg
    P0007186.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 380
  • P0007184.jpg
    P0007184.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 382
  • P0007170.jpg
    P0007170.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 388
  • P0007195.jpg
    P0007195.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 382

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Looks good! What engine does that puppy have in it?

BTW, did you check out that PeatZorb oil absorbant I mentioned to ya?