• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Losing the Mobile Phone (Cell)

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Is there anything more annoying:mad: than losing your mobile with about 300 business phone numbers on it and you haven't backed it up...:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

So do you guys really save all your numbers on the computer???

I reckon I could find the bloody thing but its 6 foot under and well compacted by now:(

Finish Blademan

Occupation
Sitework superintendent for Wolff Construction. ww
Squizzy,I do save numbers on my computer.I have a handheld address book-phone number-email thing that interfaces with my laptop via usb cable.Works great for me.
I hear ya.I lost one phone and never did find it.I ran over another phone/radio Nextel unit after it fell off my hip while I was on a small CAT vibratory smooth drum roller.It ummm,smashed that thing into a piece no longer recognizable as a cell phone.

Last edited:

Komatsu 150

I used to make fun of Blackberries but since I got one I really like it. I use Outlook anyway and it transfers all the contacts and appointments automatically - but the really big deal for me, the screen is readable in bright sunlight!

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Funny, I was thinking about getting a BB as a replacement. But its unlikely...I am the mobile phone killer. I had..the indestructable Sonim XP1...it was my third one...but the first one survived being run over by the skid.

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Try an iPhone

Hi Squizzy.

Try an Apple iPhone. Every time you plug it into your computer to charge it backs up all the contents. Lose the iPhone? Just get another one and plug it into your computer and everything comes back.

Although other phones can do much of this, none are as easy to manage and easy to use as an iPhone imho. I've had one of the first models for nearly 2 years now and although I've dropped on concrete and used it extensively, it looks and works like new. And of course there are tens of thousands of Applications available for the iPhone including some even relevant to heavy equipment users!

Also don't forget, there is no Microsoft DNA in an iPhone;)

Regards AusDave

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
I have a Motorola Q smartphone, that uses Outlook, and syncs with my outlook on my laptop. So no matter what I have 2 lists.

On my personal phone, I have a little program that backups my contacts every night at 2am. When I get a new phone, or lose it. I download the program, and it recovers all my contacts.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hi Squizzy.

Try an Apple iPhone. Every time you plug it into your computer to charge it backs up all the contents. Lose the iPhone? Just get another one and plug it into your computer and everything comes back.

Although other phones can do much of this, none are as easy to manage and easy to use as an iPhone imho. I've had one of the first models for nearly 2 years now and although I've dropped on concrete and used it extensively, it looks and works like new. And of course there are tens of thousands of Applications available for the iPhone including some even relevant to heavy equipment users!

Also don't forget, there is no Microsoft DNA in an iPhone;)

Regards AusDave

Dave, My nephew who works for me has one...its whizz bang but it doesn't impress me. I think he is on his second or third one cause they keep going on the blink. Sure is good for checking the radar when you want to see the weather coming though.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Me I run a nokia that I have backed up to the lap top do it via bluetooth or usb ,down load nokia pc for free and away you go ,loose the phone just plug in the new nokia and away you go all nos ,setting, texts are automatically loaded. that sonim phone was sold here by JCB and I owned two in one week ,the worst phone I have owned went back to the bog standard nokia 6070 and change it every 12 months.

Stock

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Verizon has a backup service for your contacts/phone book. It checks my phone every night and saves the list. If I get a new phone it downloads the list to the new phone with a few clicks on the web site. Free with the account. It wasn't well advertised, you might check with your carrier to see if they have the same service.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Found it!:) It had gone in the dump body of the truck when we were cleaning up some stumps. Because it wasn't a full load my nephew dropped it at the yard until we got some more today. One of the drivers at the yard said he heard a ringing noise coming from the pile and eventually pulled out my phone:drinkup.

:woohoo:woohoo

Time for a backup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Found it!:) It had gone in the dump body of the truck when we were cleaning up some stumps. Because it wasn't a full load my nephew dropped it at the yard until we got some more today. One of the drivers at the yard said he heard a ringing noise coming from the pile and eventually pulled out my phone:drinkup.

:woohoo:woohoo

Time for a backup

Squizzy! You scare us like that again and we're all gonna fly over there an slap the taste out of your mouth! :D

9420pullpan

i was running a D6 and it fell off as i got out for lunch filled right over it not knowing until the end of the day. It sucks....

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
lost one in the belly of an 1845c uni-loader.
that was a chore.

tootalltimmy

I was hooking up my utility trailer by hand and it ran into something so I backed it up and gave another pull to get it on the hitch. I said to myself "Hey that looks like a phone behind the tire. It is a phone or should I say It was a phone." Oops!

IndReman

Occupation
Owner Equipment Rebuild Facility
If you deal with a lot of business people there is a program called cardscan for your computer. You scan their business cards right to your computer as well as keep notes, have different categories for people, for ex. have a personal folder and business folder. It is a really nice program.

joispoi

If your phone is bluetooth ready, you can easily back up to a laptop or another bluetooth ready phone.

mudmaker

I use verizons backup setup, every night it updates. Haven't needed it yet, but I have lost my phone only to find it in the bottom of the washing machine. It had two missed calls! This is definitely the toughest phone I have ever had.

PipeLayer

I have a Blackberry and love it. In a couple of weeks, I will have had it for 2 years. I sinc it with outlook every couple of days or so and havent had any problems.

In the past I have had many problems with phones. Most accidents involved water. haha. I had a bad habit of going swimming with my phone. I guess they dont like water..

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well the Sonim XP1 Indestructable contractor phone bit the dust good and proper this time. I was doing a concrete pour and it went in the trench. I pulled it out of the crete and washed it off but it filled up with water like a goldfish bowl!. Funny thing is I have hosed these phones off a dozen times with no problem before:beatsme

They have to send me another from melbourne:mad:...but 3 year warranty is good. I think I'll either upgrade to the XP3 or go the Blackberry route. Thats if I ever get some work that will pay the phone bill:(

Landworks

Occupation
Owner/CEO
My longest lasting phone to date is the Blackberry Curve. It seems to handle the dust (and me dropping it all the time) better than any so far. I have had iphone, and tons of others. Some not making it 2 months. This one has been in service almost two years. I back it up to my Outlook contacts every couple of days in case it gets buried. :bouncegri