• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to haul more gravel materials

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Reyco four spring, typical of a road tractor/dump truck conversion. Better would be walking beam Spring or rubber ride. I have had to wrest those type springs out from under loaded trucks, a Royal BIOTCH!

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Here's one of the super-crete trucks one of the big outfits around here is using... they get more every month :) in fact they are having a hard time finding drivers.

miles-supercrete-truck7axle.jpg

Ronsii

Occupation
I think someone told me the dumps can haul22 or maybe 25 ton...??? so at least 11 yards although I know guys that used to do that with a regular truck...;)

Ronsii

Occupation
You know... I don't know I'll have to look under one next chance I get... Oh I looked up the superdumps specs and they are supposed to be able to net 26 tons... not sure if you can do that much in washington or not cause I think... one of the drivers told me they can carry 22.... but kinda hard to remember :)

petepilot

You know... I don't know I'll have to look under one next chance I get... Oh I looked up the superdumps specs and they are supposed to be able to net 26 tons... not sure if you can do that much in washington or not cause I think... one of the drivers told me they can carry 22.... but kinda hard to remember :)
that looks to be a 15 yrd. drum maybe legal with 13

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Brand new superdump with a superload on :D his 6inches is a bit different than mine ;)
View attachment 215435

Our dump haulers here cannot leave the quarry without a cover on loose stone, even if low in the bed and light. 99% have rollover systems Front to back, a few still have to hand roll/unroll a tarp.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That truck probably has a power tarp installed and just didn't use it for whatever reason. I did an appraisal on a company with a fleet of trucks and they all had them installed. There is a law that covers debris coming off a load and we have had some bad accidents in the recent past. I don't know if there is a law requiring covers but I suspect that there is. Ronsii might know.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
MO State DOT Boys and Girls like that type, instant gratification ticket, here is $200 unsecured load.

mitch504

In SC, it must be tarped unless 6 inches below sidewalls. Nice thing is, if it is tarped, any gravel damage is legally assumed to have come from the road, and the truck is not responsible.

Some municipalities have ordinances that state all dump beds must be covered all the time.

Ronsii

Occupation
In SC, it must be tarped unless 6 inches below sidewalls. Nice thing is, if it is tarped, any gravel damage is legally assumed to have come from the road, and the truck is not responsible.

Some municipalities have ordinances that state all dump beds must be covered all the time.
Same here pretty much only have to cover if it able to blow out... he should have flipped his tarp switch with the load encroaching on the freeboard like that... but... who knows maybe it wasn't working from the installer and they haven't had time to get it fixed.... or maybe he didn't want to wait the 20 seconds it takes to deploy???

Mother Deuce

Same here pretty much only have to cover if it able to blow out... he should have flipped his tarp switch with the load encroaching on the freeboard like that... but... who knows maybe it wasn't working from the installer and they haven't had time to get it fixed.... or maybe he didn't want to wait the 20 seconds it takes to deploy???
I peened a crown Vic windshield on southbound 5 in Everett in 2012. I was at home working for a friend while my dad was holding on. The Crown was owned by WSP and populated by a very unhappy Sgt.
He went in to the advanced class diatribe about insecure loads and tarps. He then asked how it was I didn't tarp my load. I had to ask him what he would like me to use as I had no tarp. He then became extremely
agitated! He wrote me a ticket for insecure load and an equipment violation for no tarp. He informed me that it was perhaps in my best interest that if he ever saw that truck again that it should have a tarp and
it better be on!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't know what it is about those people but the ones in the white crown vics seem to get huffy at the smallest little things. I mean, they seem to treat a pebble in the windshield like a two man rock when they finally get you to pull over. I had one follow me in the dump truck I was driving all the way into a wash plant because the right rear mud flap fell off and he ran over it. Got real huffy when I asked him if he could let me know where the old mud flap was so I could reinstall it.

Ronsii

Occupation
looks like mtn. hwy. (7) near roy "Y"
Yep, that's why I left the wrecking yard sign in the pic ;) they are closed down now though... had a 'little' fire there a while back which finally got em' shut down as they couldn't make it on just fixit and other services.