• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to chat about cordless power tools/kits! Leaning towards Milwaukee

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I had a dealer close that handled DeWalt got a discount thru him not look to others as happy with them. Looked at Hilti but price did set me back a few steps, if was still wrenching for a living would use those as very dependable by all accounts.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Can’t go wrong with DeWalt or Milwaukee.
I think Milwaukee has a better line-up. The M12 and M18 brushless are great platforms. I rock both, but my primary is Milwaukee. DeWalt is easier to find because every NAPA store carries it. I can’t air freight batteries, but I can take them as carry on when I fly to the Bush. because of that, I have a lot of DeWalt scattered across the state.

Tim Burke

I inherited a collection of the Rigid tools from a failed business. I use them extensively around the house and farm and have been satisfied w/ their performance. I am not sure, however, I'd consider them professional duty tools. Of course, not having been able to use such tools when I was actively turning wrenches on acft, I could just be too old to know better. That being said, I'm actively looking at the 4.5" angle grinder and the 1/2" 1100 ft/lb impact. At this point I'm committed to the platform.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
I've got a full set of the Snap on cordless. Mixed feelings about most of it. Definitely not as powerful as the Milwaukee impacts. 1/2" impact has larger body then Milwaukee. Biggest battery is only 6AH from snap on.
Drill seems fine, and so is the grinder. Not as much selection of tools either, as compared to other brands. I mostly got them for the warranty and flat rate repair. They usually just send you a new tool, if you wreck your old one enough, so you should probably run it over with the D6 first.
This last point can be taken either way, but not everyone has snap on cordless tools, so I find my batteries don't get "borrowed" off the charger like my Milwaukee batteries did.

Randy88

Just a heads up on Rigid tools, I've had them for years, they also state specific places for you to use them, as in carpentry and limited mechanics uses. If you have too many claims, they will in fact cancel you out of their system, this I know for a fact, any new tool you buy, you can't register it for warranty once you've been cancelled.

This must have been five years or so ago by now I was cancelled. The other thing you have to have in order to get warranty is every tool included in the package including the bag it came in, if you don't have the complete kit, you either have to buy to missing pieces or they can refuse to service any of them, again, been there done that when some of the turned up missing as in stolen or lost, not sure which.

I believe Rigid and Milwaukee are owned by the same company or were at one time anyhow.

I've had Rigid, Milwaukee, Dewalt and some others over the years, Rigid caused the most trouble of any of them it seemed, Milwaukee was a close second and for me anyhow, Dewalt proved the best in terms of not much trouble. But quality changes all the time with the invent of new voltages, new options for tools and how they are used and or abused and stored.

It also makes a big difference in where you can buy them, for me I always buy them locally as needed and Dewalt seems to be the most plentiful around me.

Legdoc

Been using Makita 18 volt system for years happily. Milwaukee has re-invented themselves as nearly being extinct years ago.

RnR LAMF

+1 on Milwaukee Cordless

I own probably a dozen of them, crazy rugged and powerful. The Bluetooth feature that lets you track and lock out tools from your phone is pretty neat. Makes my old dewalt stuff seem stupid in comparison. The 1” impact is a game changer of a tool.

I’ve found some pretty awesome deals on grainger for Milwaukee stuff, maybe worth looking into.