• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking to buy a CAT 299. Looking for opinions and inspection points

fastline

Looking to buy a 299 XPS. Right now one is a 16 model. Like to know what wear points to check on them? I can probably vet the engine fine but wondering on pump performance, track motors, obviously tracks and such. Just didn't know if there were hot points on them to watch for? Pump and engine life hours?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Why a 299? Do you need the size, HP and hydraulics?

IMO 279/289's are more dependable since they do not require DEF. Lotta threads on here about issues with 299's.

fastline

yes, need the size and power. trying to learn what I can this eve. Need to know what fails in DEF system and how it gets fixed.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
yes, need the size and power. trying to learn what I can this eve. Need to know what fails in DEF system and how it gets fixed.
It gets fixed with money and time, sometimes lots of it. If you want a 299 I would at least get one within the last 5 years so you have some Emissions warranty left.

When Cat releases their next higher hp machines, I am about positive it wont have a Kubota engine.

fastline

Well, we're looking at one older than 5yrs with more hours than I would prefer. I'm looking for the Achilles heel on these birds and what to look for as I examine the machine. I will end up the mechanic on it so I'd like to see if all the EPA parts are insane proprietary or if aftermarket stuff exists? How many hours before failure? What fails? etc....

So far it seems like hose wear from poor frame design is suspect. Not really sure on engine and pump life in these. I've seen big excavators go 10K hours without much issue, but not sure what these can do. I'm sure it all depends on maint, which is what I intend to try to vet what I can. Usually these backyard guys so practically nothing but run them into the ground and sell them, but I went to look at a very pro excavator a couple years ago to see the oil fill cap on the valve cover totally missing!!!!

Who knows what I will find!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
It gets fixed with money and time, sometimes lots of it. If you want a 299 I would at least get one within the last 5 years so you have some Emissions warranty left.

Well said. Knocks on wood we have had very little issues out our 279D's but they are non-DEF.

When Cat releases their next higher hp machines, I am about positive it wont have a Kubota engine.

I haven't seen one in person but the new 265 lists a Cat 2.8TA engine and a 279D3 lists a 3.8B DIT engine which is the Kubota IIRC. Still non-DEF. Interesting enough the 2.8 engine has a Cat trademark by it and the 3.8B does not.

Personally I don't see why folks buy a 299 especially if they own other larger equipment. We have dozers and 300 sized hoes to move dirt so a non-DEF CTL is a much better option over the long haul. I think the reason why the DEF systems are so unreliable in skids and CTLs is the environment of heat, dust and vibration they are constantly exposed to.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 365 Cat someone posted on here said it was a Perkins. Probably stamped Cat.

All three of my current skid steer and CTL machines are SCR (one of those 3 is new so that isn't really fair to use that as an example). I had one issue with the SCR on a 2018 model that was covered under a fix it program a couple months ago. The other 2 machines that we no longer have, did not have any SCR issues. While an SCR machine will have a higher likelihood of having more issues (simply because there is an opportunity for more things to go wrong), I have not seen issues to speak to. Honestly, I think is how they are run, and the engineering is what makes some better than others. Kubota and SCR has not been a great fit for whatever the reason, but when every machine that runs the Kubota 3.8 sees issues, that says something about the engineering that went into the design. Kubota, Cat, and Takeuchi all are known to have issues running the same engine.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Perkins? Might have to keep the Kubota's.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The Chinese Perkins that CAT put in some of their smaller B machines didn't go well, hopefully they figured that out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
We haven't had any issues to speak of with the Kubota's in our 279's.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Other than having DPF's, I don't think there is much to go wrong with the sub 75 hp Kubota machines. The SCR version is another story.

fastline

We have a few flags on the play and questioning year model and options. Anyone with access to sis care to do some digging.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Most skid steers have a time limit of about 6000Hrs. Of course some people have gotten more but not too often. Some are grenaded before, but owner care is definitely part of it. I tried to talk a company out of using a Cat 242 any more at 6000hours. It was not oil serviced the best. They thought they were good for 10000 hours. It sent a rod out of block 3 days later.
Have seen a 10000 hour unit ,as well as a 1200 hour unit that needs both traction motors and is not worth fixing.
Every one will be different.
Simon C

fastline

Most skid steers have a time limit of about 6000Hrs. Of course some people have gotten more but not too often. Some are grenaded before, but owner care is definitely part of it. I tried to talk a company out of using a Cat 242 any more at 6000hours. It was not oil serviced the best. They thought they were good for 10000 hours. It sent a rod out of block 3 days later.
Have seen a 10000 hour unit ,as well as a 1200 hour unit that needs both traction motors and is not worth fixing.
Every one will be different.
Simon C
I don't recall having too many engines that simply grenaded without initial signs of a heart attach. Blowby, rod knock? Just curious.

Pump life is something I worry about. Never killed a pump and I don't really want to.

I will say the last 299 we looked at, the hydro tank cap is just a horrible design! Caked with crap around the cap, it's in a bad spot, and nearly impossible to even open it without getting something in that tank. I removed the cap for inspection, but I was extremely careful, and realizing most people on a job are rarely careful about anything. Down she goes, and right into the pump.

Actually, to be brutally honest about my opinion of the 299 is they are cheap. A plastic hydro tank? You gotta be kidding me! And track motor speed sensors with no protection? I just wasn't impressed, but I am hard to please I guess. I like robust quality and may need to stiff around a Deere to compare.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If you like robust quality. Check out the Case 620B. Doesn't get more robust than that.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
The wrong guy on the skid steer with head phones on full and no oil checked for 3 or 5 days and they won't even hear the rod out the block.
Don't laugh, it is how it is.
Bye the way, you or whoever is suppose to compress air blow around the hydraulic filler cap with a bent end blow gun to make sure nothing goes in. It is what I do, but am not every other guy who don't care.
Not saying you don't care, just saying whoever has machine before you may not.
If cap is locked and only you have the key, I bet you will take good care of whatever you buy.
Know of a guy who recently bought 1000 hour cat D299 D2 XHP for really good price, grenaded hydraulics with no warranty. Was told $65000 Can. to fix. It happens.
Simon C

Welder Dave

Why would you even consider a 299 that is more known for problems than it is for being a good machine? Seems like lots of people think they need the biggest baddest machine but in reality a little smaller machine with less to go wrong is a better option.

MG84

Why would you even consider a 299 that is more known for problems than it is for being a good machine? Seems like lots of people think they need the biggest baddest machine but in reality a little smaller machine with less to go wrong is a better option.
Agreed. To me a skid steer (ctl) is a skid steer and a dozer is a dozer, which is why I bought my SVL65-2 Kubota. It’s still bigger than my Case 1845c and does everything a skid steer is supposed to. The under 75hp machines just have a lot less to go wrong and are still plenty capable.

Sounds like from your other thread on berms/swales you could use a small dozer (maybe even rent?). My Case 450c LGP grades so much better and faster than any ctl I’ve run, spreads material better, and can hog out bulk dirt as fast as the largest ctls. FWIW, I have less money in my Kubota CTL + Case dozer than what a 95+ hp ctl would cost.